PCBSD - the new BSD user friendly distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
PCBSD - the new BSD user friendly distribution.

Most people are familure with the differing versions of Linux from Redhat to Debian to the weird an wacky world of slax and the many various forks they have spawned but not many people are used to BSD.

BSD Stands for Berkeley Software Distribution it like linux is a unlix like operating system, but unlike linux it is not released under the GPL it is released under the permissive BSD licence there are various versions of this licence but they are all quite permissive as to what you are allowed to do with the source code.

The most popular and most common version of BSD is FreeBSD it has been used as a web server, a workstation OS and as a Basis for Apples OSX the other common versions of BSD that are currently maintained are DragonFly BSD, NetBSD & OpenBSD.

Most people who try BSD are put off by BSD as it seems less polished than the various linux flavors or a percived lack of support for a new user PCBSD is a effort to combat this, PCBSD uses a customised version of the KDE desktop enviroment and will feel more intuitive to some one who is used to the windows enviroment. It has pionnerd the use of graphical installers in unix right from the OS install to the 3rd party software packadges that are made by the community.

PCBSD is currently available in X86 and X64 versions, both are ideal alternatives to Linux and Windows operating systems and has been voted in 2006 as the most beginer friendly OS by OSweekly.com.

PCBSD currently ships with the offical Binarys for Nvidia and Intel drivers.

The Current Stable release of PCBSD's current version is 7.0.2 Fibonacci edition.

Click the above image to go to the PCBSD home page.

I can honestly speak from experience on this one. That BSD distro is alright. I have used it. But sadly their forums are not the nicest place.

PC-BSD Forum • View topic - Dual Monitor setup

Some tried to help but sadly it was a less than honest effort to try and get support from them. Even after i finally did get my setup working it still was never right. This distro is the epitamy of Always in Beta Linux.

Ubuntu can't cut anything it's so blunt it has difficulties with warm butter, PCBSD however is that sharp it can cut the fabric of reality.

^ nice.

i think i'll give this a try. i am playing around with ubuntu and for the life of me i can not get drivers for my 9800GTX installed. i have tried about everything i can think of. perhaps this one will be better.

i just kept getting weird errors when i tried to download the drivers for it.

can somebody tell me how to install drivers for my card under PCBSD? i'm downloading it right now. but google searching turns up nothing as how to install drivers.

philbar your in luck PCBSD comes with the official nvidia binaries as standard, some goes for intel hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom