Get simple legacy Java applet operational, Reward offered

tantamount

Solid State Member
I have an enjoyable Java game, a fun strategy game with many challenging levels, authored by famed Czech programmer Pavel Richter who devised the top-notch time-killing game Babala for Linux or Windows (with 300 levels). This game is called Papalot (The Primitives). It used to run flawlessly years ago. Now I get security balks and/or nothing rendered under WXP and W10. I tried downloading JDK but saw no file appletviewer.exe, arggh. I tried running the Papalot.html with javaws.exe, Java Web Start, but to no avail. 'Likely this can be reconfigured for launch by sizing up the simple file structure(s) and converting to JNLP. Please, this is a terrific game, freeware; it's worth a few bucks to me to get this operational, I just don't have sufficient knowledge. A savvy person could have this working in under ten minutes! Thanks. I'll supply the package in .zip format; a mere 133 kb. I've tried attaching it herewith under "Add Video" which is the sole means I see to attach. It should come though. Let me know.

Last edited:
oops here now finally...

no, uh, I see now where to Manage Attachments and it is saying that my 133kb .zip exceeds the 98kb limit!

...thinking

Changes nothing but yes there is appletviewer.exe file included within recent download of JDK. I don't know how I missed that... getting old, no doubt. Anyway, I don't know how to invoke the app properly, like from a Run command line. Just double-clicking it does nada.

Some limited success now that I've located appletviewer.exe. It's a simple matter more-or-less to get JDK's appletviewer.exe to run my papalot.html; I had to move my package's HTML launcher file plus 2 sub-folders into the directory /bin where JDK keeps appletviewer and other crucial DLLs that it requires. Then I made a shortcut to appletviewer.exe and added the name "papalot.html" to the Target string as the sole parameter passed. Bingo! The display was Ok and as expected at first. Then after I took my 1st turn/choice in this strategy contest the applet visibly proceeded as it should, showing progression in the field of mine and the opponents forces. But then it came time for me to choose a deployment location on the field for my newly-readied soldier. The applet attached a simple rectangle to my mouse pointer, as it ought do, and I was able to place that rectangle where I desired. But it wasn't showing me any field features now and after I placed my latest deployment (blindly since no field features showed) using the little rectangle. then things became no good. I suppose the applet needed to re-render the playing field and something messed up. But for the blinking yellow health indicator lights (for each deployed unit), nothing else shows up. Arggh.

I swear this game worked flawlessly from any browser, 10 or 12 years ago. :confused:

More information: I realize now that the only files that matter to run the game are papalot.html and the subfolder named "classes". In the package I've uploaded there is also a Start_Papalot.html and a subfolder "images" which merely constitute the playing instructions.

I will reward the person who gets this fully operational.

Okay - crisis over. I don't know why the game runs imperfectly under WXP but I've now tried it under Windows-10, using appletviewer.exe, and it works wonderfully. Thanks all for being there! :lol:

Of course people here are welcome to use the game Papalot which I've uploaded since it's freeware. You can waste some serious time doing so, but it may not be suited to all temperaments. Just a note that even under WXP I was able to get it fully operational (there are just a few pixels missing along the top edge but it's no impediment). I downloaded archival JDK version 6 - never tried version 7 - copied the CLASSES folder as well as papalot.html into the "bin" folder where one finds appletviewer.exe and then crafted the usual shortcut to appletviewer naming the sole argument, papalot.html. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom