Well....

I wouldn't fold on all 3 670s since it's kind of a waste. My 3960x at 4.2 was pulling more points than my 580 which has more folding power than a 670. Considering most of the 880w being pulled was the GPUs I think it's safe to say folding on only the CPU will only pull around 130w itself or slightly more. I was only around 115w at 4.2GHz with HT on.

I'm assuming your parents paid for your rig, so if they could afford that I'm sure they wouldn't notice an extra few bucks on the electric bill. That is of course if you don't mind the extra heat build up.

My main thing with folding right now besides the electric is it is damn near December and it is still hitting 80F outside. Way too hot to be folding as it makes the AC stay on a lot more.

Haha, my 3930 is at 4.6 (1.32 ish) and I have 3 670's (all are at stock clocks).

Okay. 2 Dalorians it is!

Bad news is the 670 should make bout 18-19k right now...... Possibly in the future about 180k points, yes 180,000ppd

24/7 in *nix the 3930 at 4.1 may do 90K, but unreliably, but straight windows v7 smp around 40k i'm betting at a increase of 60W to idle, as P has said!

I find our forum is composed mainly of younger and/or middle-lower economic class members, who if they could afford to would, but economics kills the idea.

I say fold ewhat you can, as its a distributed program of donations.

Nah I paid for the computer myself, they don't make me pay rent or anything like that to help with utilities though. Paton you are spot on with the ppd counts! How will they eventually pull 180k? That's crazy! I might only do the smp and one gpu though, that seems like it would be the smarter way to do it now.

Well, they are starting to do quick return bonus on the gpu's. So faster you doit, the bigger the reward, same way the 21000 big nits next me 231,000 points.

The new thing too is gpu's are start to do the same work smp does, so they are doiung equal work for equal points, except right now the the gpu's are getting the best case work units.
What
they haven't explained why gpu's atre getting the best wu possible, yet they axed the better case wu for bigadv machines like my xeon. My setup last year would make nearly 200k ppd but now only gets 130k ppd

Okay. 2 Dalorians it is!

Bad news is the 670 should make bout 18-19k right now...... Possibly in the future about 180k points, yes 180,000ppd

24/7 in *nix the 3930 at 4.1 may do 90K, but unreliably, but straight windows v7 smp around 40k i'm betting at a increase of 60W to idle, as P has said!

I find our forum is composed mainly of younger and/or middle-lower economic class members, who if they could afford to would, but economics kills the idea.

I say fold ewhat you can, as its a distributed program of donations.
Yea just as I figured, the Kepler chips really aren't great for folding compared to Fermi.

Let me know when GPUs start making a bigger dent in PPD. I got a 260 I can put to work.

Back
Top Bottom