GPU Folding, AMD Sapphire HD 7950 Vs. Nvidia GTX 680 Geforce.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Ok, I'm bysy in the prosess of sorting out my finances and looking at a GPU upgrade if not a Full Rig except the Chassis for F@H. Now thing is I've selected theese two cards for the thread title as they are the High End Cards my local supplyer has in stock over the counter.

Now I'm woundering even thor I'm not sure what I'm going to bye yet, these two cards being High End and the AMD Card haveing more Stream Prossesers but a lower clock but the Nvidia Card haveing a Higher Clock with less Stream Prosessors and takeing in to consideration like Memory and Interface and also bandwith, what is the best card for Graphics Prosessing and Power. I read that you have Nvidia running CUDA but I'm not sure if this is up to date this technology as of posting this thread as what I read was posted in 2010 on the foums found threw Google.

Now thing is I've been reading alot online over the past two hours, and if I go for a GPU upgrade, it will probily be but not sure due to Price Vs. what I'm acutally getting this: 1GB NVIDIA MSI N560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II available at COMPUTER orBIT LTD .

Now I read that 1 CUDA Core is = to 5 Stream prosessers but will it be worth the upgrade, as this Card above is PCIe 2.0 and will be compatible with the Mainbord in the System.

The 8800GT has 112 CUDA Cores but the Twin Frozer has 384 SP. But with a Memory Clock Speed of 4000Mhz and a Core Clock Speed of 822Mhz the Memory speed is faster but the Clock Speed of the Card is slower compared to the 8800GT. Would this be worth the Upgrade, or should I move over to PCIe 3.0 and go for a new Rig?

When I say what Card is better for the F@H Project I mean AMD Vs. Nvidia not acuatlly the two Cards mentioned as the thread title.

AMD vs. Nvidia for folding is hard to answer, since they both have a broad range of cards on the market. Personally, I prefer to use Nvidia based rigs for Folding, but I haven't had an Nvidia desktop since the 460 days.

Yha, nvidia isd the folding king, The way nvidia process units run, they scream threw units...

I'll be honest the 8800GT I have is powering threw 110+ WU Per every five days. Now as of posting this the GPU had powerd threw 18WU and the system has only been booted up for 29Hours, the Desktop not the Laptop. I think it will be Nvidia for the upgrade.

Yha, my 260-216 would chew threw 24 units a day. for about 8k ppd.

My 560ti would only do like 12, but for a total of 16k ppd.

For me, the problem is its 280W for 16000ppd, where as my 950 @4.0Ghz is running about 250W and makes 22000ppd, a 2600k does like 26k ppd. But those are all $400 upgrades.

Plus to total system power is like only 300-350W as the gpu is idle. I'm all about heat and electricity

Always remember, gpu units are much smaller, 353pts for gpu2, 1400pts. gpu3, where as a cpu unit is 900ish base plus time bonus. My 950 basically gets 4300pts for 4 1/2hrs a unit.

Totally useless info, but meh.

I'm not amused, yesterday I set up the Beta Client for the SMP f@h Console ver. and now after just 24 too 30Hr I'm averageing 2000+ PPD on the Q6600 CPU, and an average of two WU, based on 500,000 Steps for that acutall WU. In less than 30Hr I've powerd threw 2 with an accredited 5762.2 PPD.

For the GPU, the 8800GT ive powerd threw 19WU after restarting the System for updates with a credit of 5000 +PPD, if I had of known I could of been working threw more WU I would of been all this time. But was not sure how to go about setting up the Beta client. :( ..

Yha, my 260-216 would chew threw 24 units a day. for about 8k ppd.

My 560ti would only do like 12, but for a total of 16k ppd.

For me, the problem is its 280W for 16000ppd, where as my 950 @4.0Ghz is running about 250W and makes 22000ppd, a 2600k does like 26k ppd. But those are all $400 upgrades.

Plus to total system power is like only 300-350W as the gpu is idle. I'm all about heat and electricity

Always remember, gpu units are much smaller, 353pts for gpu2, 1400pts. gpu3, where as a cpu unit is 900ish base plus time bonus. My 950 basically gets 4300pts for 4 1/2hrs a unit.

I recon HT doesn't help that much for folding and my 2500k got nowhere near that at 4.5ghz.

Yup, at 4.5Ghz it pulls nearly 26kppd

p6074-1.png

and
Intel Unveils Sandy Bridge: Core i7 2600K, i5 2500K, i5 2400, i3 2100 CPUs - Folding@home - Legit Reviews

Patty, are you or anyone else of the current folding team interested in a small folding competition ?
It won't even have to last long at all, just a AMD vs Intel based SMP race for about 24 hours.
I want to see what intels current sandy/ivy can do against AMDs FX integrated chip.

Before I sold my AMD 3650 a month ago, it was doing quite well in the smp sector.
Had it around 3.7ghz and it brought in about 6000ppd, I lost the logs because had to reformat.
I think we're over do for one anyway, we need some fun and action around this forum, instead talking about mobile tech talk crap all day long.

Back
Top Bottom