Folding rig sponsorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only the mods know this but my business has an account with a large distributor. So I can purchase this whole thing for much cheaper.

If someone wants to start the fund through paypal (if it hasn't been already) then I can use it to buy the stuff.

Once we have everything I can keep it here or I can drive it over to Mak.

Yeah I would say i7 is the way to go because of the big units, but if we are funding this ourselves I think it would be fine to just stick with the P55 platform instead of 1366 if it would save a good bit of money.

So I can purchase this whole thing for much cheaper.
how much cheaper? :D

I think a X58 based board would be best for Folding with the wider video bus and triple channel memory. Plus it should be more upgradable for a possible future 6 core. Maybe we could save money to start with by getting a 3GB (3x1GB) of DDR3 1333 kit instead of a 6GB kit. And instead of a Asus or EVGA mobo maybe we should go with a BioStar or AsRock.

Have you seen i7's on the big WU's though rican? They crank out mega points. One i7 can easily get like 25K-30K ppd out em. Uses a lot less wattage than GPU's too.

And even without big WU's thanks to the new A3 cores my i7 gets like 17k a day :D

@Slay: I don't think the video bus really matters for folding, as all F@H needs are the cards' shader power, and I don't really think the bus limits that (then again, don't really know much about it, so could be completely wrong lol)

@James: Yeah I saw that... Was thinking about picking it up myself... Then I remembered I don't have any more spare PCI-E slots, dang it lol.

edit: I think veedub had some 285's for sale, along with some ocz memory...
edit2: and he had a c0 i7 too...

Theres an ebay listing with over 10 8800GT's for $70 a piece.....a monster build would be the mountain mods dual mobo case, two four slot pci-e mobos and 8 of the 8800GT's.

That machine alone would push out 40,000ppd, and with two dual core cpu's running smp it can break 50K.

Well I've already got my GTX 280's pre-sold for the Nvidia Fermi release but part of the deal involves me getting my old 8800 GTX's back (a pair of them). So I can donate those when Nvidia makes the release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom