F@H - Team TF Milestone Clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've made some progress I think. It now can run if I execute it myself but if I try to run it as a service it still fails.

Still isn't working. I stopped the GPU client in services and then tried starting the CPU client. Then it just comes up with the classic "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."

Anything else I have to do other than install the MPICH, run config for F@H and set -smp? Do I have to run any of the other .exe's?

To install the SMP client, extract the files to the dir you want to install to, then run the mpiexec file first and answer any questions. Then run the install.bat and answer those questions. If you say YES to advance options, then you can add the -smp there. Make sure you allow it through the firewall if a pop up shows up. Then run Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe and you should see:

If you see this twice, MPI is working
If you see this twice, MPI is working

It should be working now. They do not recommend running SMP as a service yet. Try running it normal from a shortcut first and get it working then switch it to a service later. It is quite easy to switch later.
Have a look at this page WIKI.

Here is a pic of my SMP starting.

Wait, are you trying to run smp on 1 core only???

SMP needs as many cores as possible, at least two.

Three cores would be ideal, and leave one core for the gpu client.

Machine id has nothing to do with cpu cores, its just a number associated to the client (up to 16 can be used presently).

To change what core a client runs on, you have to tweak the affinity settings.

Open up task manager and go to processes, find the fahcore and right click on it and change the affinity to the core you want.

Leave the gpu on one core, and smp on three cores.

fahcore11 is the gpu core, the other fahcore would be smp.

hehe, im aproaching the 1k mark. beware, im coming for you lol.

Also, i have a question, this may be better suited for the other folding at home thread though.

I couple days ago i did a 5000frame wu and only ot like 200 points for it, is that normal? in fact every wu i get i don't get much more then 200 points for, no more the n 250 at the max.

What client do you run??

If you run the standard client, then yeah thats pretty much the most points youll get.

If you run smp, those are worth a lot more, at least 1700 points every 2-3 days.

GPU wu's are worth 480, every 2.5 hours for me.

yeah i think im running the standard client...once i get a new modem for my gaming comp it should speed up the wu's quite a bit.

Here is a screenshot of what FahMon sees now.

I have all four cores running at 100% and they seem to be up to speed but it looks like because I'm using all of it my 8800GTX has slowed down even with the new drivers.

Should I set my CPU to maybe 90% to speed the other up?

yeah i think im running the standard client...once i get a new modem for my gaming comp it should speed up the wu's quite a bit.

That wont make a difference, youll still be getting low ppd because of the regular client. you can run
smp on dial-up, the connection is only used to upload finished work and download new projects.

I have all four cores running at 100% and they seem to be up to speed but it looks like because I'm using all of it my 8800GTX has slowed down even with the new drivers.

You need assign smp to run on three cores, and the gpu client to one core using the affinity settings.

Set your GPU client in advanced options to run (Slightly Higher) for the core option. SMP should run at idle.

hat wont make a difference, youll still be getting low ppd because of the regular client. you can run
smp on dial-up, the connection is only used to upload finished work and download new projects.

no what i meant is it will speed up the completing of work units because i'll be on a much better system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom