Quick note to those overclocking their GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

veedubfreak

Golden Master
It has been shown that clocking the memory over 1000mhz (2k effective) for extended periods of time actually causes damage to the card. So just keep that in mind for when you run the card. Before anyone goes and screams for proof, its just something i read while lurking hardforums over the weekend and thought i would put the warning out there. As im about to go to lunch i'll let yall do the searching for it.

Apparently from what I've read, the memory is affective for 2000 MHz, but the memory controller or something along the lines of that can't handle it after a few weeks. Most people seem to be keeping their memory at 1900 MHz to be safe, from the forums I've read. Also there is no mention of the GTX having this problem, and thanks to aspire.comptech for confirming that :)

No this is completely restricted to the new 65nm GT cards. I didnt really get the specifics but anything over 2000mhz on the memory is a bad thing. Its ok for benching, but long periods degrade the memory controller or somesuch. I plan on just keeping mine stock with the fan set to 50%, the extra time it takes to open ati tool and reset the clocks everytime i reboot for a measly extra 50/50 isnt worth the time.

interesting, would like to see some concrete evidence to support this though.

Kind of a bummer as higher memory clocks are needed to make up for the loss in bandwidth due to the 256bit memory interface reduction

I know the first person who discovered it was one of those "guru" sites. Johnny guru or whatever. At this point though i'll take their word for it and just hold off on oc'ing rather than fry'ing a enw card.

The SSC runs at 2000mhz. Basically all of the clocks work in steps, i think anything up to 1004 still runs at 1000(2000effective). Its when you clock past this point that the memory controller starts to suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom