Good Timing Settings for G Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 on Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kutabare

Baseband Member
Hi,

I have recently bought a pair of G Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 for my Gigabyte P35C-DS3R mobo. The mobo is old but it's able to pick up all 8 Gbs of the memory sticks; however, the memory frequency keeps reading @533 mHz. I have tried setting it to 1066 and 1333 along with the timings 9-9-9-24-2T and it still reads running @ 533 mHz on CPUZ. All the voltages are normal and the sticks run at 1.5 V. What kind of settings would you recommend tweaking in order to run a good frequency of 1066 or 1333?

It's been a long time since I messed with a system as old as yours. Here's what I see.

In the CPU tab your FSB is 266.7 (this number has been rounded up from 266.65555)
Your Multiplier is 9
Multiplier x FSB = CPU Speed
9 x 266.7 = 2400.3 (9 x 266.65555 = 2399.8999)

In the Memory tab your FSB:DRAM = 1:2
This is saying that for every 1 MHz of FSB your DRAM Frequency will run at 2 MHz, or 1:2
So if your FSB = 266.7 then your DRAM Frequency =533.4

To look at these a little closer I'll point out that your CPU's bus line is what is known as a Quad pumped bus line. Or the CPU's bus speed equals 4 times the FSB.

4 x 266.7 = 1066.8

Your memory is DDR or Double Data Rate (DDR, DDR2, DDR3 are all Double Data Rate). The Data Rate is equal to the DRAM Frequency. So that means your Memory speed equals 2 times the DRAM Frequency or

Memory Speed = 2 x 533.4 = 1066.8

So this all means your CPU bus is running at 1066.8 and your Memory is running at 1066.8 or they are running at 1:1.

With your system this is considered optimal. There are situations in which a system with the ram running faster than the CPU bus line is going to be better, but the majority of the time you'll get better overall performance by keeping the CPU bus and Memory speed at 1:1.

I can help you get your memory running faster but I'm not sure if it would be in your best interest. Are you using the stock heatsink that came with the cpu or are you using an aftermarket heatsink? What are your CPU temperatures at an idle and under full load (running Prime95 for an hour).

Oh, if they're stable as it is, in that case, it's fine I guess. I don't really need to OC the memory. I just didn't realize that's how you calculate it through the specs on CPU-Z. Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom