First Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I mostly followed your instructions, Slay, but I kept bluescreening, etc. After lots of frustration, I set the Cpu Manual Voltage to 'Auto'. And finally my system booted up.
Here's some screenshots, non-load
View attachment 4861

And some screenshots while running Prime:
View attachment 4862

Attachments

• Capture312.jpg
    Capture312.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 54
  • htrf.jpg
    htrf.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 53
I can tell just by looking at your screenshots that your selectively following my advice. If you want my help you follow all of my advice.

Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology: Disabled
CPU C1E: Disabled
CPU C3 Report: Disabled
CPU C6 Report: Disabled

You also need to set the BCLK/PEG Frequency to it's Default setting of 100, not 103.

And you need to set a fixed CPU Manual Voltage. Auto is unacceptable.

Turbo is needed if you want to overclock.

Prime95 is crap, use LinX

and you need to run LinX for at least 20 minutes before taking a screenshot.

I can tell just by looking at your screenshots that your selectively following my advice. If you want my help you follow all of my advice.

Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology: Disabled
CPU C1E: Disabled
CPU C3 Report: Disabled
CPU C6 Report: Disabled

You also need to set the BCLK/PEG Frequency to it's Default setting of 100, not 103.

And you need to set a fixed CPU Manual Voltage. Auto is unacceptable.

Turbo is needed if you want to overclock.

Prime95 is crap, use LinX

and you need to run LinX for at least 20 minutes before taking a screenshot.

I don't think I could find where those things were, but I'll give it a go, and get back to you.

Something's wrong, I did all that you said, I managed to find the things that you mentioned, etc. But I boot up, and run LinX, after around 1 minute of LinX running, my computer bluescreens for under a second, then restarts. I tried raising the CPU Manual Voltage, re-booting, running LinX, but my comp keeps freezing, then bluescreening, then restarting. I even set the voltage up to 1.525, but even then it still bluescreens, reboots after only several minutes of LinX running. I've only managed to post this because I set my BIOS back to default settings. Help?

P.S, While on the highest Manual CPU Voltage, which I knew was the highest because if I tried to set the voltage above that, my system wouldn't even get to the BIOS, my motherboard speaker beeped several times and a message came up saying 'CPU Over-Voltage'. And temps, while running LinX under a minute on 1.525v went up to the high 80s.

P.P.S- I'm running LinX on my non-OCed comp, and it's not bluescreening... Temps are max low 60s.

When you used the Auto Tune feature it changed your settings and now we have no idea just what was changed. You need to clear/reset the bios to the Default settings. Start the PC up and disable the Automatic Restart feature when the computer crashes. This will give you time to write down the error message and ***STOP code:

overclock1.jpg

Are you trying to run your memory at 2133MHz? Post a screenshot of CPU-Z with the Memory tab and SPD tab visible. For 4.8 to 5GHz you need to run your memory at 1600MHz, I'll need to see the SPD tab (select a slot with memory installed) in order to advise you on the latency settings.

For SB OC you should better look at thread like this one.
OCN Sandy Stable Club
Read the first page carefully. Also there are charts you can compare your settings with others.
I would never suggest anybody using software OS side OC.
You are the only one who can find what the best settings for your system.

And btw, if you can read the all 300+ pages of it and also look through other threads in OCN, it is proven that Prime95 is still the best long stability test for SB.

While I'm sure he means well, ignore boomstick666 if you want my help. I'm not going to try and keep track of all the different things you may try by following his advice.

If you want to run your Memory at 2133MHz then I'm going to say the Max. Stable and Cool overclock your probably going to see is in the 4.8GHz range. The Memory Controller is built into the CPU so the harder it works the hotter your CPU will get. You will get better performance at 5Ghz/1600MHz than you will at 4.8GHz/2133MHz.

Overall I suggest trying to reach 5GHz/1600MHz first. If your temps are good then we can try to increase the Memory speed. If your temps are just to hot at 5GHz then we will try 4.9GHz or 4.8GHz with the Memory at 1600MHz. Once we find your best stable and cool overclock then you can try raising the Memory speed. Once we find your overall best Overclock (cpu & memory) then we will try enabling the Power Saving Features (Speedstep, C1E, C3, C6, etc...). Generally speaking most users overclocking a SandyBridge CPU have no problems using the Power Saving Features. But most users don't reach 5GHz stable either (boomstick666 link above will verify that). I've found that the (2) 2600K's I"ve played with both become unstable with the Power Saving Features enabled with a OC of more than 4.8GHz (with air or watercooling).

Ai Tweaker

• Ai Overclock: Manual
  • BCLK/PEG Frequency: 100
  • Turbo Ratio: By Per Core (Cannot adjust in OS)
  • 1-Core Ratio Limit: 50
  • 2-Core Ratio Limit: 50
  • 3-Core Ratio Limit: 50
  • 4-Core Ratio Limit: 50
  • Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled
  • Memory Frequency: DDR3 1600
  • EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled
  • DRAM Timing Control: 9-9-9-28-2T
  • Load-line Calibration: Ultra High
  • VRM Frequency: Manual
  • VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350
  • Phase Control: Extreme
  • Duty Control: Extreme
  • CPU Voltage: Manual Mode
  • CPU Manual Voltage: 1.465v
Advanced
CPU Configuration
  • Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Disabled
  • Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology: Disabled
  • Intel Virtulization Technology: Disabled
  • CPU C1E: Disabled
  • CPU C3 Report: Disabled
  • CPU C6 Report: Disabled

Be sure to uncheck the Automatically restart box as shown in this image and tell us the Error message and ***Stop code if you get a BSOD. Normally you'll just need to raise the CPU Manual Voltage (I would keep it below 1.5v).
overclock1.jpg

While I'm sure he means well, ignore boomstick666 if you want my help. I'm not going to try and keep track of all the different things you may try by following his advice.

If you want to run your Memory at 2133MHz then I'm going to say the Max. Stable and Cool overclock your probably going to see is in the 4.8GHz range. The Memory Controller is built into the CPU so the harder it works the hotter your CPU will get. You will get better performance at 5Ghz/1600MHz than you will at 4.8GHz/2133MHz.

Overall I suggest trying to reach 5GHz/1600MHz first. If your temps are good then we can try to increase the Memory speed. If your temps are just to hot at 5GHz then we will try 4.9GHz or 4.8GHz with the Memory at 1600MHz. Once we find your best stable and cool overclock then you can try raising the Memory speed. Once we find your overall best Overclock (cpu & memory) then we will try enabling the Power Saving Features (Speedstep, C1E, C3, C6, etc...). Generally speaking most users overclocking a SandyBridge CPU have no problems using the Power Saving Features. But most users don't reach 5GHz stable either (boomstick666 link above will verify that). I've found that the (2) 2600K's I"ve played with both become unstable with the Power Saving Features enabled with a OC of more than 4.8GHz (with air or watercooling).

Ai Tweaker

• Ai Overclock: Manual
  • BCLK/PEG Frequency: 100
  • Turbo Ratio: By Per Core (Cannot adjust in OS)
  • 1-Core Ratio Limit: 50
  • 2-Core Ratio Limit: 50
  • 3-Core Ratio Limit: 50
  • 4-Core Ratio Limit: 50
  • Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled
  • Memory Frequency: DDR3 1600
  • EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled
  • DRAM Timing Control: 9-9-9-28-2T
  • Load-line Calibration: Ultra High
  • VRM Frequency: Manual
  • VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350
  • Phase Control: Extreme
  • Duty Control: Extreme
  • CPU Voltage: Manual Mode
  • CPU Manual Voltage: 1.465v
Advanced
CPU Configuration
  • Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Disabled
  • Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology: Disabled
  • Intel Virtulization Technology: Disabled
  • CPU C1E: Disabled
  • CPU C3 Report: Disabled
  • CPU C6 Report: Disabled

Be sure to uncheck the Automatically restart box as shown in this image and tell us the Error message and ***Stop code if you get a BSOD. Normally you'll just need to raise the CPU Manual Voltage (I would keep it below 1.5v).
overclock1.jpg
Okay, I'll attempt it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom