Core2Duo Chipset Selection Makes a Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
Check out this article... i was suprised by how the chipset you select makes a big impact on performance.
clicky clicky

it has many pages so paruse at your leisure

Cool! The nForce 4 SLI X16 did a lot better than I thought it would. :) That's what I have. :p

This one didn't make much sense to me at all:

sata-write.gif

What could possibly make one chipset TWICE as fast as the rest in SATA average write speed other than:

1. Different SATA controllers
2. Different harddrives

The last letter "R" means the chipset is capable of RAIDs. I see no reason why there would be only one tested as RAID and not the rest.

And if you took the time to read, you'd see that the article says nothing about running a RAID on the 965P/ICH8R board.

they all are capable of raid... its only the ICH8 that isn't... puzzling. it was probably just a flaw in experiment design that wasnt caught (like the one was set up in raid0 and the rest in raid1 or something)

The specs for the Intel chip was probably provided by Intel......they have been known to test there chips using programs which they KNOW their chips are better at rather than using the standard benchmark tests as the other guys do.

thats just todays world, you cant go by Manufactur benchmarks (all the time) you're better off testing it yourself

yep, same with the rating of the processor, much like how cars are rated. lets take a step into the automotive world and define a horse power. horse power = work done over time. now, back in the day, automotive manufactures used their own methods of defining and testing/rating horsepower, but that has changed. since car manufactures were often overrating their own cars, customers became overly unsatisfied about the actual preformance vs rated preformance. so along came quality control, and made a standarized test to accuratley rate horsepower amongst all cars. now how does this relate to pc's u might ask: simple, intel has their own tests that they favor because they make the processor seem like its faster than it realy is, same with amd all the other cpu makers. the reason i bring this up, is that maby some guy in the bigtime might read this and apply the same concept: make one universal test for all cpu's that test every extremity of the manufactures cpu's so u can accuratley compare the processors advantages/dissadvantages in all tasks like mem write, mem read, etc...all that cpu testing crap. there ive made my point ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom