AMD Overclocking Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official AMD Overclocking Thread.

This is just a small test.. I'm not out for any benchmarks, although I'd like to try. This is 3.5g with out a VCore step.

Processor: Phenom II 940
Stepping: 2
Revision: RB-C2
VID: 1.350
Final Clock: 17.5x
Final Vcore: (auto)

Power supply: Ultra X3 1000w
MotherBoard: Asus M4a78 Pro
RAM: 8g OCZ Reaper 1066
Timmings: 5-5-5-15
RAM to FSB: 1:2
Final RAM Voltage: 2.08

Stress testing program: Prime95
Hour of Stability: 4
Max Load Temperature: 60* (CPUID says 57.. but it did hit 60* before I moved the case and the box fan for better airflow)
Reason for Stress Test End: Time... It runs fine.. Just messing with it.

Heatsink: D-Tek Fusion @ 1/2", MCR 220 Rad,
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver
Lapped Heatsink:
Lapped Processor:

Core temp AND CPUZ Screen Shot:

cpuidr.jpg

cpuzss.jpg

I added my other Radiator in series with this one (Routed right in line with it, dual MCR 220's) and it's running the stress test now @ 51*..

------PRIME Stable 3.7g OC------ :D Lower Multi, more tweaking! :D

These shots were taken during the Prime test.

Processor: Phenom II 940
Stepping: 2
Revision: RB-C2
VID: 1.550v
Final Clock: 17.0x
Final Vcore: 1.550V (changed)

Power supply: Ultra X3 1000w
MotherBoard: Asus M4a78 Pro
RAM: 8g OCZ Reaper 1066
Timmings: 5-5-5-13
RAM to FSB: 3:5
Final RAM Voltage: 2.17

Stress testing program: Prime95
Hour of Stability: 30 min...
Max Load Temperature: 51*
Reason for Stress Test End: crash
Heatsink: D-Tek Fusion @ 1/2", MCR 220 Rad,
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5
Lapped Heatsink: no
Lapped Processor: no

Core temp AND CPUZ Screen Shot:

37zlowvc.jpg

374lowvc.jpg

those are some nice temps, but do get that OC higher as 3.7 can be done on air!

i want to see 4.0+ from your green loopy loop!

It was posting 4.07 @ 18x mult, 1.550v, FSB @ 228, CPU/FSB ratio @ 11.00, NB V @ 1.375.. I'm just afraid of the 1.6 vc..

I just can't get it to load. That clock above is fine for about a half an hour on Prime, then it blues out. I'd like to get a stable 3.8 out of a 17.0x mult.. I see the intel guys cranking up the FSB, and the AMD clocks I've seen don't really do it.. I figured, why can't I do that? I lowered the Mult to 17 and cranked the FSB up (and a couple other things) and it had the same clock as an 18.5.

Less Multi, More clockey... :D :D

well good luck, best i could do was 3.753 on air, but 3.7 stable....perhaps we both didnt get the best chips because the wall was showing its face!

but still, your temps look great!

^ I think the board has a lot to do with it. I had a GB board that was VERY easy to juice this thing up..

I'm in the 'red' already with the NB voltage and it doesn't have a heatsink. I was messin with it for a while earlier.. I just needed a break.

-----------------------------------------------

Update:
I'm @ 4.07g again, but it's freezing up in the BIOS... Almost need to Lap the CPU or check the paste... The hoses feel like it's running at about 90*f idle in the bios.. ANytime I get anywhere NEAR 4g it freezes in the Bios.. Regardless of the VCore..

I'll post up my progress...

laptops RULE! Laptop = Daily Driver.... Big computer in Sig is the Sports car you keep in the Garage... :D

Here's a vid I recorded with the Laptop... Just a quick BIOS setup after CMOS reset.
YouTube - Phenom II 940 BIOS Set Up/Overclocking

I can't get this thing to boot even 3.8g! It started to, but faded out after the password screen. I think my NB is overheating.

I've tried everything..
CPU Mult @ 19x
CPU VCore @ 1.5625
DRAM @ 800mhz
HT link @ 800mhz
CPU/NB @ 14x
NB V @ 1.30
CPU/NB V @ 1.525
HT V @ 1.20

and prolly a couple more things I can't think of.. I've been trying for over a week. I'm on OC Forums now too.. tryin to see what they thought...

Have you tried messing with the fsb instead of just the multi?

EDIT: Nevermind, you did before...

For smaller overclocks you don't. At 3.5, I keep my multi at 17.5 with stock FSB.

Here's what you should do first: find the max FSB your board can handle. Set everything at stock to begin.

Set your multi lower than stock, first off. Then raise your multi slowly to see how high it can go. The general idea you should follow is keeping the multi set at such that you can raise the FSB without going over stock speeds, that way you don't have to mess with the voltages. Also, I would keep your RAM at 800 or 667 to make sure it's not a factor.

You'll know when your board has hit it's limit. With me, the warning signs were red lines going randomly through my screen, and garbled text on boot.

I would say set your multi to something low like 12x, then try 215 to start with. From there, you can make a leap to 220, then 225. From there be a bit more cautious. Go up a couple at a time, feel it out. You'll start noticing the signs of instability with the FSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom