Pentium or Athlon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper

Monster Techie
Hi,

What processor do you think is better? Athlon or Pentium? I'm totally behind Athlon because I own one and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I also heard that a 1.4 Athlon can beat a 1.7 Pentium. For some reason that tells me something and Athlon is cheaper as well.

Anyways, who do you preffer?

Hi,

What processor do you think is better? Athlon or Pentium? I'm totally behind Athlon because I own one and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I also heard that a 1.4 Athlon can beat a 1.7 Pentium. For some reason that tells me something and Athlon is cheaper as well.

Anyways, who do you preffer?

Spot on. Stick with the athlon. A 1.4Ghz athlon can run 50 ish % faster than a 2Ghz P4. Basically because pentiums are shit. Intel people sit there and think " if we can make a chip run at 2Ghz then it must be great " but they froget teh one other thing that makes chips fast (other than its clock speed) its BUS speed. Slow bus, slow chip. No matter what speed the chip is clocked at if the data cant travel through it fast enough whats the point - you need a balance which so far AMD have got spot on with most of their chips, especially the Athlon.

Although when people who dont have a clue about computers look at computers they see the higher clock speed of the P4 and go for it rather than the athlon. Their loss! Although AMD do call them Athlon 1900+, 1800+ etc when they only run at about 1.5Ghz. Just imagine how much faster a 2Ghz athlon would run than a 2Ghz P4 if they are already running 50% faster when clocked 600Mhz slower!

Spot on. Stick with the athlon. A 1.4Ghz athlon can run 50 ish % faster than a 2Ghz P4. Basically because pentiums are shit. Intel people sit there and think " if we can make a chip run at 2Ghz then it must be great " but they froget teh one other thing that makes chips fast (other than its clock speed) its BUS speed. Slow bus, slow chip. No matter what speed the chip is clocked at if the data cant travel through it fast enough whats the point - you need a balance which so far AMD have got spot on with most of their chips, especially the Athlon.

Although when people who dont have a clue about computers look at computers they see the higher clock speed of the P4 and go for it rather than the athlon. Their loss! Although AMD do call them Athlon 1900+, 1800+ etc when they only run at about 1.5Ghz. Just imagine how much faster a 2Ghz athlon would run than a 2Ghz P4 if they are already running 50% faster when clocked 600Mhz slower!

the amd chips are better because they have good chipsets to support them and are faster to start with
intel dont seem to be able to get a good chipset going or when they finally do they bring out a new chip
the only grip i have about amd is the exposed core ( the raised bit in the centre of the chip ) with the speed of modern cpu's the running temp has shot up just look back a few years and a pentium 200mmx only needed a heatsink, have you seen the size of some of these new coolers ( hsf ) they are huge and the weight of them some are that tight or cumbersum they can crush the core on an amd cpu
The new amd chips look like the old pentium chips with a flat surface across the top , I say about time
However intel recently had a pentium 4 northwood running at 4ghz at a show for all to see, it had to be water cooled to run at this speed
Why dont the cpu makers look at not just increasing the speed but lowering the running temp of these chips
i run an athlon 1.2 ddr an xp1700 a pentium 2 333 and finaly a pentium 2 350 not had any problem with any of them apart from the noise the fans make ,if via can make a cpu that only needs a heatsink why can intel and amd not make one , I think it's because they are caught up in the speed race, why else would amd name the xp range so
having had my little rant about the way intel and amd are at the moment i still say amd are the best after all they are faster cheaper and now come in a turd brown ( well makes a change from black i suppose )

Attachments

• 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 144.jpg
    144.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 0
the amd chips are better because they have good chipsets to support them and are faster to start with
intel dont seem to be able to get a good chipset going or when they finally do they bring out a new chip
the only grip i have about amd is the exposed core ( the raised bit in the centre of the chip ) with the speed of modern cpu's the running temp has shot up just look back a few years and a pentium 200mmx only needed a heatsink, have you seen the size of some of these new coolers ( hsf ) they are huge and the weight of them some are that tight or cumbersum they can crush the core on an amd cpu
The new amd chips look like the old pentium chips with a flat surface across the top , I say about time
However intel recently had a pentium 4 northwood running at 4ghz at a show for all to see, it had to be water cooled to run at this speed
Why dont the cpu makers look at not just increasing the speed but lowering the running temp of these chips
i run an athlon 1.2 ddr an xp1700 a pentium 2 333 and finaly a pentium 2 350 not had any problem with any of them apart from the noise the fans make ,if via can make a cpu that only needs a heatsink why can intel and amd not make one , I think it's because they are caught up in the speed race, why else would amd name the xp range so
having had my little rant about the way intel and amd are at the moment i still say amd are the best after all they are faster cheaper and now come in a turd brown ( well makes a change from black i suppose )

The reason the Pentium 4 is slower then any Athlon processor is because of its long pipeline. (over 2x the size of Athlon's) this allows for higher clock frequencies. As Intel continues to crank up the speed, performance gaps will start to show, and Pentium 4 will start to pull away.

I for one, am 100% behind AMD, simply for their price-to-performance ratio.

What will decide who is the best, will come at the end of the year, when AMD releases their "clawhammer" processors.

Until then, I think the battle for the fastest processor will keep going back and forth between Intel and AMD, right now they are about tied.

The reason the Pentium 4 is slower then any Athlon processor is because of its long pipeline. (over 2x the size of Athlon's) this allows for higher clock frequencies. As Intel continues to crank up the speed, performance gaps will start to show, and Pentium 4 will start to pull away.

I for one, am 100% behind AMD, simply for their price-to-performance ratio.

What will decide who is the best, will come at the end of the year, when AMD releases their "clawhammer" processors.

Until then, I think the battle for the fastest processor will keep going back and forth between Intel and AMD, right now they are about tied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom