CMOS error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
I just installed a new power supply and now when ever I boot up it says CMOS checksum error defaults loaded. When I get to windows nothing works right because the time is wrong.

Try entering the BIOS and setting the time and date. Make no other changes, then exit for a re-start.

Does the problem persist? Try resetting you CMOS. Instructions vary slightly, most boards require the CMOS battery to be removed and the CMOS jumper moved to pins 2 & 3 for 10 seconds. Then, replace jumper on pins 1 & 2 and replace the battery. Power on, enter BIOS and set time and date. At this point your BIOS will be reset, and the system should work properly. If you are still geting the checksum error, you may need to replace your CMOS battery.

NOTE: The instructions for resetting the CMOS are for a P5B-D board. Your board may differ slightly, check your manual before doing this operation.

Once you have a stable load to the desktop, power-off and re-start to make sure that the changes were accepted and that the CMOS is saving and loading the BIOS correctly.

Hope this helps!

it started fine when i restarted. it only happens whai I unplug it. Is this a battery problem.

On most boards I've seen, it's in the bottom-right corner. It's a little round battery about the size of a thumbnail. Pop it out and go to an electronics store, but preferably a computer store and get the exact same battery (or the exact equivilant).

ok I'm going to take the battery out tinight. But what I don't get is why would replacing the psu cause this to all of a sudden happen.
Does anyone know?

Well for starters, maybe the battery was dead. That's why he would be replacing it. So when you unplug a power suuply there's no more power going to the battery and since it's no longer able to hold a charge it dies out losing all the CMOS info.

reggie_da_man said:
Well for starters, maybe the battery was dead. That's why he would be replacing it. So when you unplug a power suuply there's no more power going to the battery and since it's no longer able to hold a charge it dies out losing all the CMOS info.

That makes perfect sense. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom