Need VPN advice!! traveling and need office connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepg

In Runtime
Ok, I know this is probably in this message board somewhere, but I don't browse here a lot as I have been recovering from multiple back surgeries (makes it hard to sit at my PC). I would appreciate any help you guys can provide. I own an electronics company and will gladly sell items at cost to anyone who helps me with this process (over 1.2million items!!!)

Here is the issue. I am going to be traveling looking for jobs and housing. I have 6 PC's at my home office that are networked to a 1GB 3COM switch and the switch to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I don't have the password anymore, so if that is needed (which I'm sure it will be to change the settings), I'll have to reset it with the pin button on the back..

Currently I have 3 XP Pro box, 2 Server 2003 Enterprise edition, 1 server 2003 Database. DHCP is off. I can use Azureus, so there is traffic going in and out of the router.?.

It's been a long time since I've setup a VPN. I have my Static IP 4 my home office. I have the network addy's for my computers. I use remote desktop from all of my PC's so they have that enabled already. I know the admin PW's to all computers and the usernames/PW's to all PC's/servers.

Now, how do I set the router up to allow me to access my PC's from and external IP? Does the other computer have to have XP PRO or server? Can I do it with XP Home? I'm not sure what computers I'm going to be able to use as my laptop just had a drink spilled on it by my GREAT girlfriend :upset: .

So, Where do I start? What do I need to do to make sure this is going to work right? Any suggestions b4 I leave for vacation?

BTW, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO CONNECT VIA RDC TO MY COMPUTERS IF IT IS POSSIBLE!!!

Thank you very much for any advice you can provide! I'm leaving tomorrow night, so I don't have much time. I just found out about this trip yesterday... :4-dontkno

THANK YOU VERY MUCH and remember I'll hook u up with everything at COST!!! TONS of A/V, Computer stuff, u name it!! If Circuit city has it, best buy, amazon, I have it!!

Well, the easiest way is just to make sure that Remote Desktop is listening on all of the computers and then make sure that all of the computers are listening on different ports.

The default is 3389

To change this (on each computer) goto the registry and change the following string:

"PortNumber"

it's located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

Change each one so that they are different (3389, 3390, 3391, and so on).

Then just forward the corresponding port (UDP ONLY) to the matching IP address of the computer that is listening on that port number.

Then when you connect using your Remote Desktop client, use your static IP with the port number afterwards:

23.43.12.33:3389

bold number being the port number that you are using.

Oh I forgot, you are going to need to reset your router if the password isn't "admin", "default", "password" or just blank. Simply meaning that you (or someone) changed it to something different. After you reset it, login with user "admin" and "admin" as the password.

Port forwarding, I believe, is under "Applications & Gaming" on the 54Gs. Goto that section and then Port Forwarding should be there on the left. Pretty straight forward...application (RD or whatever), port number 3389 (or 3389 to 3389 if it's a range...can't remember hehe), protocol (UDP only), then local IP.

Thanks u kindly! That's the same answer I've gotten at another Tech board so u must be right!!

I'll get u guys the site info and an account if you want. It is under construction but you will get everything at cost!!!

Here is one more quick Question..

So, if I do a VPN from my laptop to a server(xxx.xxx.xxx.101) and the rest are 102,103,104,105,106..., can I then RDC to the rest of my computers (from that server I'm connected to? so I'm using the VPn to the server, then opening the RDC function on the server to the rest of the PC's/server's on the LAN?

Sure you could...

But it's going to be faster just to remote into them in the first place....as I stated above.

mikepg said:
I'll get u guys the site info and an account if you want. It is under construction but you will get everything at cost!!!

That would be great! I'm planning on buying and then giving (promting) away alot of things in the future within a "quiz contest" in our own forum....so this would help.

I am in the port range forwarding and it has a title like this:

Port Range

Application Start End Protocol IP Address Enable
**** *** *** **** 192.168.1.*** y/n

I put mstsc.exe (the RDC command) for the application, is this correct?

now, can I just assign say port 6669-6669 UDP (protocol) IP addy of my server, then check it for enabling it?

if this is correct, this should let me connect to the "forwarded IP addy" on my network, then once on the server I can RDC to any PC on the network, correct?

under: appications and gaming
Then: port triggering
This is the title fields of what is allowed to be enterd. Do I need 2 do anything with this?

Triggered Range Forwarded Range
Application Start Port End Port Start Port End Port Enable

Port triggering allow the router firewall to open up certain ports that you specify for all computers instead of just one like port forwarding does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom