dns issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
In order to not get any errors in the event log of a workstation on the network, i must manually set the dns server to my servers ip address. What must i do so that the workstation computers will automatically get the ip address from the server.

in the forward lookup zone i have server.com (my dc name) and in here it has a host record which is my server (named serv) and its ip address. in the reverse lookup zone i have a pointer record going to my workstation which was added automatically when the workstation first logged into the network. am i missing any records that might be the reason for my problem above?

I think I may have misunderstood you, but what you need to do is setup DHCP scope option. Add a scope option DNS and enter the IP address of the server. The client will get all this information from the DHCP. The server prefered DNS should point to itself. The server should forward queries that it can't resolve to the ISP DNS. Is that what you needed?

i think the dhcp will prob fix my problem i have yet to set it up so i will give that a shot and see where we end up after that

Yea, you can enter the IP address,Subnet Mask, DG,DNS all manually, but nothing beats DHCP. You can either choose to use the ISP DNS or your server IP address. The only difference is that the client will look to your server, then the server if it doesn't know how to resolve the address will contact your ISP DNS server. Then your server will cache that site for future use, which in turn builds up it's database so it's great to have a DNS server running on your LAN. Anyways you still need DNS for active directory so it wouldn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom