want to partition my hard disk and make it my system hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
I attached this old hard disk of mine. It is a 20 gig hard disk ATA 100
I was thinking of partitioning in the following way.
4 gigs for Windows XP
4 gigs for Windows 2000(do i really need Windows 2000 and Windows XP on the same machine)
4 gigs for LInux
8 gigs for miscellaneous.

I have currently got a 160 gig hard drive with Windows XP, i will make it my apps/data drive, just in case something goes wrong with the 20 gig drive, i will still be able to boot using my apps drive.

If i make the second drive my apps drive, do i need to have it in Slave mode, my motherboard has four IDE connections.

Wait.... if you had the 160 as the drive with applications on it? Yes, it would be slave (jumpered) if you plan on booting from the 20GB.

since the 160GB has no operating system and is not set as active partition it will not try to boot itself before the 20GB disk. therfore you have no problems. if you currectly use cable select mode than you do not have to switch to slave mode.

partitioning a drive that small into that many sections, will slow your overall performance down quite a bit..., no point to create a seperate partition for each OS, or whatever... it's actually pointless... and why the hell would you put win2000 on the same disk as winxp?

difference between windows 2000 and XP

I wanted to have both Windows XP and Windows 2000 so that i could enjoy both OS's features, but what are the difference between them in terms of features
what is the difference between windows 2000 and windows XP in terms of features?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom