writing a web based application

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello

I was planing to write a web based application. what language do you guys recommend i program the application in.

vbscrip
jscript
javascript
or any other language?

you can write classic asp pages using vbscript. asp.net can be written in vb.net, c#, jscript.net, perl, or python.

vb can write activex controls. java is internet capable.

thanks for the reply

what is internet capable?

i came across quite a few sites which are done in java script

Philosophy
There were five primary goals in the creation of the Java language:

It should use the object-oriented programming methodology.
It should allow the same program to be executed on multiple operating systems.
It should contain built-in support for using computer networks. internet capable
It should be designed to execute code from remote sources securely.
It should be easy to use and borrow the good parts of older object-oriented languages like C++.
Especially for the latter part, however, extensions are sometimes required, like CORBA or OSGi.

remeber that javascript is a client side scripting language. it cannot perform any server side processing.

looks like i was wrong. seems they did create a server side javascript language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server-side_scripting

List of server-side scripting technologies

ASP
Microsoft designed solution allowing various languages (though generally VBscript is used) inside a HTML-like outer page, mainly used on Windows but with limited support on other platforms.

ASP.NET
Despite sharing a name with conventional ASP this system encourages the programmer to use an event driven model with controls and uses code written in the .NET bytecode compiled languages rather than scripting languages.

ColdFusion
Cross platform tag based commercial server side scripting system.

JSP
A Java-based system for embedding code in HTML pages.

SSI
A fairly basic system which is part of the common apache web server. Not a full programming environment by far but still handy for simple things like including a common menu.

Perl
Not specifically designed for web scripting but still often used either through CGI or a special apache module.

Python
Another language commonly used through CGI.

Tcl
Another language sometimes used through CGI.

PHP
Common opensource solution based on including code in its own language into an HTML page.

Server-side JavaScript
A language mostly used on the client side but also occasionally on the server side.

thanks for the info. i also ended at the wiki site too.

i was looking at the taken website

http://www.scifi.com/taken/index_main.html

and the episode guide opens in ie but it does not open in firefox 1.5.

i checked the page source, it says javascript. i guess it is client side. doesn't firefox like javascript. why cant it open the episode guide

rookie1010 said:
i checked the page source, it says javascript. i guess it is client side. doesn't firefox like javascript. why cant it open the episode guide

the ep guide opens from the flash. i dont think it has anything to do with the js code.

check any popup blockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom