Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

KryptoKnight

In Runtime
Hi guys,

why is everyone so excited about big hard drives? Wouldn't it just be ok with a 160 gb hard drive? Also, more rpm means a faster loadup right? Is it worth the extra money?

The Amount of space you needed is decided by you and not us. However its Cheaper to buy a 120GB or 160GB harddrive rather then an 80GB harddrive. Dollar per GB is less if you buy a larger drive then 80, but smaller then 200. Usually...

Yes, Faster the RPM the faster it is.

As far as RPM goes, a 7200 RPM hard drive is ideal. The 10,000 RPM hard drives are for the hardcore gamers that want the fastest of everything, even if it isn't necessary at all.

The amount of space you need depends on the amount of programs and files you'll have on your computer and the amount of downloading you do. A normal computer user that doesn't do much downloading would have trouble filling 80GB, but people that are often downloading movies and other large files may want a 200GB+ hard drive.

Also, if your motherboard is compatible, get a SATA hard drive. There's really no price difference and it's faster, as well as smaller cables.

yeah hard drives are another of those periphs that is decided by user needs but it annoys me to see that people always will choose storage capacity over speed. A lot of people I know just get large amounts of storage for the sake of it that they never use but that's just the result of naivity (if that is a real word). I don't like usually correcting people or telling them what to do but I wish they would consider other options like RPM, SATA or RAID rather than just being dependant on Capacity.

Capacity is more important than speed when it is required but i'm referring to people randomly buying large capacity drives because they believe that is what a makes a hard drive superior to others.

its real easy to fill up your hard drive

i was uploading pics from my camera in photoshop...that must have taken 500 mb-1 gb...

It looks to me as if they are phasing out the old drives and going to mostly 7200 rpm's anyways.

The old 5400's are more pricey for what you get speed wise and storage wise. I don't know why anyone would buy one unless they had their heart set on replacing their old hdd with the EXACT hdd that came with the computer.

I figure these are computers, not cars. Restoring a '66 Malibu I'm all for. Restoring an old computer to original spec's? Eh.......no.

:D

****Update*****

Just for kix I checked NewEgg and they only listed one 5400 rpm hdd. A Seagate 20 gig for $40.

Don't wait..............Ya snooze ya lose! :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom