Fried Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyjames66

Baseband Member
I recieved a computer from a client who had tried to put memory in a PCI slot. What I'm wondering is, if I replace the MOBO do I dare re-use the processor and memory (that was not put in PCI)?
If anyone has any comments, I would appreciate it. The new MOBO is $150 and I'd really hate to fry it as soon as I get it.
Thanx
Corey

do you have any way to test those components?

I say go for it, use the warrenty if anything goes wrong, lol

I wonder also, if I upgrade the CPU, will the restore disks work? It's a e-machines and comes with its own set of disks.

PCI slots have a 3.3v to 5v signal.
Standard memory modules operate under 2.0v. Higher quality ram can withstand well over 2.0v. Chances are if they tried to boot this PC with memory modules in the PCI slots, then they damaged the memory with too much voltage.

If you upgrade the CPU with-in the motherboards specifications and compatibilities the restore disks will still work. Those restore disks are to return the PC to the original state that you bought it in. The operating system, drivers and other applications that were bundled with the PC.

I believe most emachines use ASUS motherboards. This that what you have?

No, it has an Intel Seabreeze mobo w/ Celeron D CPU.
Do you think the CPU would be fried? The PSU? I've never dealt with anything like this before.
Thanks for the reply!
Corey

ok.

You said you have to replace the MOBO? Why do you think it must be replaced? Are you having problems booting the machine? What problem are you having to make you think you need a new mobo?

Well, I guess I assumed it's the MOBO. It will power on but nothing ever shows on the monitor.
According to the guy I got it from,(well actually, his wife), it has been this way since he tried to start it with the memory in the pci slot. The MOBO spec's say this.......

"Three PCI bus add-in card connectors (SMBus routed to PCI bus connector 2)"

I believe he put the memory in slot 2. (I had to talk to his wife and she knows less than him).
By the time I got to it, he had the memory in the right slot alongside another mem. stick. They wanted the memory stick and video card back so they could return it, leaving me with a stock system. (e-machines T2862) The MOBO is a D845GVSR Seabreeze.
If you think it is other than the MOBO, I'm all ears.
I've verified that the monitor and the hdd work. I'm guessing the psu is o.k. as lights come on, but that's just a guess.
Thanks for your help. I've never dealt with this before.
Corey:confused:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's a memory issue. Like I posted before, trying to boot a PC with memory in a PCI slot could do serious damage to the memory. WAY too much voltage....

If they have more then one Module then try installing 1 module at a time and see if any of the modules will work to boot.

Isn't there are mobo speaker on this motherboard? normally if there is an issue you'll get BIO's beep codes during P.O.S.T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom