How to make xp perform a task/script? at shutdown/startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolancer

Daemon Poster
Im fiamilar with some minor stuff like .bat files and running cmd's from them.

what im trying to find out is... a way to exacute a task or command at shutdown or startup in win XP pro...... however, what im specificaly trying to do is.. copy a file over into the system32 directory and overwrite the file currently in use, and have it perform this task every time it shuts down or starts up (preferably durring shutdown)

but the file thats being overwritten is inuse by windows after the current user profile is logged on... So the task/command/scripts/or whatever, would have to run after logoff during shutdown, or befor logon during startup......

Is this possible?

-------------------------------
I know that stuff can be placed in the startup folder, but that doesnt help this situation because the user profile has to already be started for the task to be performed.

and sort of another related question... I know commands can be run from .bat or .cmd........ but when should each be used? I know there must be a difference between them and im just curiouse.

thats a long ass list... at a glance it apears to only be tweaks for modifing some XP options... not any tweak to help me perform the task at hand.

unless you can narrow it down to a specific link on that page, i dont see a relavant one.

Well there might be one in there. Just save it to your desktop and edit it to your likings and see what you can come up with.

Save what to my desktop? that website is filled with mostly just regentry edits.

Im looking for information conserning a way to perform a automated task/command/script or whever you name it.... during win Boot/shutdown.... befor the user profile logs on, or after it logs off.

i dont know what kinda script your specificaly talking about... but as i said befor i know how to make basic scripts to execute commands or edit registry etc.

what i dont know how to do is exacute such a thing befor or after windows inorder to overrite a file or exacutable currently in use by the active user account.

If the script your talking about is relevant, please direct link it for me because im not going to beable to find it in that list.... even if i were a fast reader, dont think i would find it in that list.

open gpedit.msc, expand windows settings, expand scripts, open either startup or shutdown scripts, and add script/batch/exe that you wish to execute.

csamuels said:
open gpedit.msc, expand windows settings, expand scripts, open either startup or shutdown scripts, and add script/batch/exe that you wish to execute.

This is what I also was going to reccomend. This only applies if you have the PRO version of XP though. I have found that HOME does not have the gpedit feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom