Upgrade or Pay to find out whats wrong???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIRISH

Baseband Member
Ok this is what I am currently running...

Thermaltake Black Highest Xaser III Super Tower

ABIT "AV8" K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU - Retail

EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, TV-Out/DVI, 8X AGP,

Antec 550 Watt Power Supply With 2 Fans 5.25 Control Panel, Model "TRUE CONTROL 550W"

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD, OEM Drive Only

Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1600JD, OEM Drive Only

Sony Internal 16X DVD+R / Double Layer/DVD+RW Drive, Model DRU710A, Retail

ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 478/462/754/939/940 CPUs -RETAIL

I have had this system for almost a year. At first I was running WOW and Counter Strike at a blister 1900x1200 and everything was so damn smooth and fast. Now it seems that my performance has just gone to hell. I have questioned getting it checked out since I have been screwed over before. I have been looking into some of the new boards and the new 7800 video card. Should I pay to get that system checked out, or just go ahead and replace the MB, Proc and vid card??? If I change to a PCI-E Board I can add another card down the road and what not. Plus the board I have now seems to be pretty buggy.

Well I would bet the slow down is most likely software related and not hardware. If you have reformated and installed windows since it has slowed down and it is still slow THEN I would start looking at hardware. You should think about reformating and starting over fresh again. I bet your system would run like the first day you got it...

Yea I will look into doing that too. It may be heat related as well, my 7 fans dont seem to be pushing much coolness. plus my wiring is all screwed up and I cant figure out how to make it look clean and un cluttered.

try the format and clean up the wiring. Losing a harddrive would help get rid of some clutter. Just spend a little time and wire everything up neatly. Thermal paste on your processor might need to be reapplied. just a few thoughts.

Yea I noticed the first time when things got really hot, my heatsink was comming off the CPU. I reaplied the paste and made sure it was on tight. I know my card gets hot alot, but I also play for hours at a time. I will prob at least get another gig of ram, cause I hope to be able to run BF2 when I get home.

Have you cleaned your case and components? If they are dusty, then it will run hotter.

Uninstalling and reinstalling your software (not Windows) can make a difference.

Download and run TweakNow (http://www.majorgeeks.com/TweakNow_RegCleaner_d4134.html) to clean up your registry, which can make your computer run like crap.

Defrag your drives.

Use the Startup Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG) to cut out all the background programs you don't need.

There's a few ideas, anyway.

DJ-CHRIS said:
This is 90% likely due to your old version of windows, spyware, virus's eect.

he dosnt even say what version of windows he has, and how would windows know that its getting old and to make your computer run like crap? thats just stupid. And that computer has the balls to run anything windows throws at it.

I agree it could be from spyware or viruses, but not an 'old version of windows'.

Is windows like chillin on his hard drive thinking 'ohhhhhh sonny, im gettin too old for this crap, time to slow down and start walkin with a cane.' I kinda doubt it...

If his computer has the original version of windows that he installed when he built the machine, it should run exactly the same now, as it did when he first built it... Thats why I say format the drive and start out fresh again.

Yea I am gonna defrag, run virus check, try to get rid of as much spyware as I can, and then I will reformat and reload everything from scratch. I know somethin went wrong cause I could run CS:S at 1900x1200 at about 70FPS, and before I left I was lucky if I could get 20, with all the same graphic settings.

Well if your gona reformat and start from scratch then dont even worry about cleaning it up like scanning for viruses or spywayre. Because when you format your HD it just completely wipes it and it will be like a new empty HD and you can install windows and start from there. So if you spend all the time getting rid of spyware and stuff and then reformat, then you just wasted a whole lota time.

I would still just say format, install windows, and start fresh. Shell run like new again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom