'Boot Disc' problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cway

Baseband Member
Hello, I have Windows XP Prof., and when I boot up my pc, I get the Black background page with white color font that says something about a Boot Disc problem and for me to insert the Windows XP disc.
Help please!!!!
Thanks!!

I basically have to insert the cd in order for my pc to start.
And it is really getting old. Any way to fix this?
Thx!!

That's probably because your missing some necessary boot file. Best way to fix this is to insert your CD and press R then press C to go into recovery console.

When your there you will have to choose which installation you like to log into. Press 1 then enter and type in the administrator password.

Afteward you will get a prompt like this C:\WINNT>

type fixboot c:

Hello Law,
Actually, I had already tried what you suggested.
The only difference is that I got a prompt like this: C:\Windows>
I then typed fixboot C:, it then confirmed that it was fixed, But, it still requires the cd to boot up!!!
So, I was thinking it might be fixmbr.
But when I tried the fixmbr I received a CAUTION that I did not quite understand so I did not do it.
Can you tell me what the difference between the two are?

Thank you VERY much!!!!

Fixboot -- rewrites the OS boot sector on the hard drive

Fixmbr --- rewrites the master boot record boot program.

I think if you try the fixmbr it might fix your problem.

Yea, I was thinking (hoping) it would also, but I saw that CAUTION that said something about "If you're able to access your drive, DO NOT CONTINUE"...otherwise the Partitions would get messed up...or something like that.
So, you think either Fixboot or Fixmbr should fix the problem?
Do you think Fixmbr will damage anything, or not allow me to boot up at all? I have alot of stuff on there I do not want to lose!!

Thx again!!!

Can you also please tell me if I am suppose to be at C:\WINNT>
or C:\WINDOWS.
And if it is C:\WINNT>, how do I get there?

Thank you!!

Fixmbr is not suppose to damage your MBR if you only have 1 OS install, it basically replaces the original file with a good one. It shouldn't that's what I'm trying to say BUT I AM NOT SURE!

Take the risk perhaps it may be the solution perhaps not but you'll never know until you try. :eek:

Your using XP Pro so your promt is C:\WINDOWS>

(of course C: being your harddrive letter which it would be if you only have 1 partition)

Thank you so much Law,
That does make sense...I really appreciate all your assistance!!

Take care!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom