PC Build - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjlambert

Baseband Member
Hey folks.

So, started my first build - hopefully haven't smashed too many CPU pins.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you thought of using paste between the CPU and the heatsink. I got a AMD 64 bit 3500+, 512 L2 and installed it with the stock heatsink/fan, which did have a pad on the heatsink to contact the CPU. Is this good enough (no overclocking plans yet) or should I take it off and go for paste?

My system is a work in progress but shapes up like this so far:
Athlon64 3500+ @ 2.2 GHz (S939) (.090 um) 512 L2
Thermaltake Tsunami Case, 1 120mm intake, 1 120mm exhaust, 1 90mm exhaust on side
Antec 480W PSU
Asus A8N-E MB (no SLI - sure can't afford another card) - supports SATA II
2 x Kingston 512 DDR memory (PC3200)
Seagate 250G SATA-II NCQ, 8M Cache, 7200
6800GT vid card (not sure what make)
DVR, CD-ROM, Floppy (not sure what make, yet).

By the way, thanks to everyone on this site, I spent a lot of time (mostly at work) checking out the opinions and advice on here before making my choices.

K

well since its already installed go download motherboard monitor and check ur temps idle then play a game and see how hight it whent then post em and then well tell ya

actually I have asked a similar question, and as I was told it really wouldn't make sense for AMD to supply a hs that wouldnt do its job well....overclocking is a different story, I am running a 64 3200 with stock hs and fan and it idles around 33C and load is around 40C, however there was paste on the hs not a pad like yours (don't know how much of a difference that would make), but if you don't plan on OCing you should definitly be fine with the stock setup.

If you don't plan to overclock at all then leave the paste that came with the heatsink, if your doing very very light overclocking in the future put some AS5 onto the heatsink, if your doing medium to heavy overclocking on air get a new heatsink and put AS5 on it.

No OC = Thermal Pad Fine

The Thermal Pads that are made now are actually pretty good. They do take some time to set, "Heat / Cool". But once they set, they are really good. I'm not sure about the AMD thermal pads, i've never used them for mine, but I know the Intel thermal pads usually do a damn good job.

Very nice build you've got there. You should be happy with it. Good luck.

Heyyo,

yeah, on my old stock athalonxp it had a little clob of thermal paste inna size of a small pad, so maybe that might be what you mean unless there are actually thermal pads, havn't heard of them before.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it.

One other quick question: Would you recommend putting in and hooking up only the bare minimum (i.e. MB, CPU, HD, Optical drive) and then installing windows, and then putting in the other stuff (i.e. vid card, other drives, etc), or just put it all in and plug it in and go?

Also, I haven't installed the HD yet, would it be worth going for a 16M cache over an 8M one? Would there be any noticeable difference in a mostly gaming system?

K

I think going to 16 MB cache is a good move because it allows to use more of the bandwith. However, if you are getting a drive with 16MB of cache get SATA-150 and not ULTra-ATA.

kjlambert said:
Hey folks.

So, started my first build - hopefully haven't smashed too many CPU pins.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you thought of using paste between the CPU and the heatsink. I got a AMD 64 bit 3500+, 512 L2 and installed it with the stock heatsink/fan, which did have a pad on the heatsink to contact the CPU. Is this good enough (no overclocking plans yet) or should I take it off and go for paste?
The thermal pad should be fine if you're not overclocking, plus you get to keep your warrenty. If you ever do overclock, you will need to get rid of that pad and pick up some arctic silver 5 thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom