How's this computer? [Dell Dimension 8400]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer your original question, yeah, it would run those games reasonably well.

You really might want to consider some of the other options mentioned as well though. A system from Monarch will not have propriety parts and be much easier to upgrade in the future.

beedubaya said:
Dells also use all proprietary components such as RAM and power supply making it impossible to upgrade it.

RAM is not proprietary in a Dell. And you could also upgrade the power supply too. PC Power & Cooling has PSU's specifically for dells. The reason it's tough to get a PSU for Dell cases is the case doesn't have a hole for the PSU power switch. The PC's use a soft power button.

Here are the parts that are proprietary and the problems you'll see.

Case:
1.) Only Pre-fabbed for dell MOBO
2.) Only fits PSU's without power switch. PC Power and cooling makes a bunch of them.
3.) Overall a fairly poor design.

Motherboard:
1.) Only fits into specific Dell cases.
2.) The bracket around the CPU sockets are their own freakin' stupid design. Making upgrading the Heat-Sink and fan impossible.
3.) NOT overclocking friendly, at all.

Other then that... if none of these are any concern to you, you'll be very happy with a Dell.

Some of them have weird CPU cooling as well... my mothers has a tunnel contraption, so the read fan cool the CPU heatsink, instead of a heatsink mounted fan.

Its really weird, eats space, and acts like a dust magnet. I can blow it out, shut the case up, and a week later it has massive amounts of dust in it.

And yes, I put it in a dust free area that I clean weekly or bi-weekly. I take alot better care of her PC then mine.

Yeah, it's a green plastic shield that attaches to the backside of the dase over the system fan and covers over the HS&FAN on the CPU.

ALSO: Most aftermarket HS&FAN's can't be installed on the MOBO's because Dell as designed a stupid bracket around the socket.

FadingTheory said:
Dell is perfectly fine for the masses who buy them. You have to understand, people buy nnot only from withen their price bracket, but there knowledge bracket.

Dells customer service and warrenties are pretty good, and they'll fix the computer or give you another on. As long as you need the tech service, and don't wish to upgrade, Dells are fine.

that's only if you use your computer to check your email and play pong, and write documents/listen to music... anything else you do, pre-built computers would get in your way :confused:

Thanks for your suggestions. I just checked out Monarch computers, and while it looks like they have great selection/pricing, it's just a little too "hardcore" for me. I'm in no way knowledgable enough about building computers to intelligently build a computer with Monarch.

This may be asking too much, but I really want to make sure I get the best computer my money can buy. What configurations might you suggest, that would come out to around $1200? Or rather, wha specific parts (processor, RAM, graphics card, etc.) do you think should go into my computer?

Again, thanks for everything.

DFI Lanparty nForce 4 ultra-D
1 gig of twinMOS (get OCZ if u want to overclock)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ venice
GeForce 6800 GT, or wait for the next gen cards and get out some xtra cash

he's getting prebuilt.

Try gateway, or other pre-built places. They may have other and better deals.

Also, Dell cycles through taking money off of computers. If you really wish to buy from them, wait a week or two, and see if what you want goes through the rotation. My mom saved $200 doing that.

Actually, Monarch customizations are starting to look good, if only I knew the first thing about buying custom computers. So I'm not specifically getting prebuilt, per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom