Ram!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aglobalthreat

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, I have a question about RAM.. First let me tell you about my old pos computer.. Its a shitty gateway and i have 700mhz (now 698) processor, and 384MB of ram (3X 128MB). My friend had an extra 256 stick of RAM still in the case and on the case it says required 733mhz procssors or better. Well im about 33-35 away.. I installed it anyway and my comptuer wouldnt boot up.. So i figured that 33-35 really did make a difference =/. Now for my question: Is there any way I can override this so my computer can use this stick of RAM? If so, how? Thanks..

-Thomas

You could overclock it, but since it is a Gateway, I dont believe you will be able to. I think they use the PhoenixBIOS and that is really limited and locked down.

You can buy a faster processor, than it would work.

It will still work but most likely revert to a slower speed

A ram stick cannot decide to not run because your processor is slower.

Basically this is whats happening. Without knowing the model number I would say the motherboard has reached its maximum of 384MBs of memory. Just buying a new processor is not going to cut it. True the box says if you have a 733MHz processor it would take 768MBs max but if you had a 733MHz system there would be more to it then just the processor.

alright it makes sence.. i guess ill just save up more money and stick it out with this 6 year old POS. Im gona save up 800 and build a monster =)

aglobalthreat said:
Im gona save up 800 and build a monster =)

Thats the spirit! Save up even more, and you can build even more of a monster! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom