WiFi wieless intgernet and wifi router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbragg

Solid State Member
WiFi wireless internet and wifi router

Hi,

I have a wifi wireless internet provider , and I am trying to hook up two computers to share the wifi internet connection. My wifi internet is provided through an antenna outside my house with a hardwire ending in a rj45 jack which I plug into the lan connection on my laptop. It works perfectly.

I want to hook up a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and two wireless pcmcia cards. So far I have had ZERO sucess. I have spent hours on the phone with Linksys, and the problem seems to be the WIFI Intenet hides the IP address etc, and auto detect cannot find it. It gets me just to the anntenna but not beyond. HOWEVER, my Skype connection and my Limewire connection sail right past this problem, and remain connected even though I cannot access the internet through the router. Has anyone had this problem and how can I find the IP address, mask, dns servers etc that I need to enter manually in Linksys router. Sadly, my WiFi isp provider is hopeless and does not resond to my requests for that info, either by e-mail or telephone. UGH Any ideas???? HELP..Please......................

I ahve done ipconfig/all It just gives me the ip of the router, and does not get outside the anntenna.

Unfortunately, if all you receive is WiFi signal, then the only way to get that info is from your ISP, as most likely it is pulling up a network address such as 192.168.x.x

That is what I was afraid of. I have sent them 6 e-mails and called a number of times to an automated answering system. This is one of the frustrating things about living in France. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE

Do you have any idea why the automatic detection won't work in the router? What puzzles me most is that Limewire and Skype find their way through the router without any problem. How is their configuration different?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom