Why cant I play HL2 on higher settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could I use windows xp drivers even though I've got windows 98SE?

The PCs in my house are networked together and they all use 98SE.

The ATI Radeon 9800pro is pratically made for the game anyway!

Would an Athlon 64 3000+ play HL2 better than an Athlon XP @ 2.4GHz?

Stupid: "AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @3.0 Ghz"

- yeah right dude :)

Ace No-Money said:
Could I use windows xp drivers even though I've got windows 98SE?

The PCs in my house are networked together and they all use 98SE.

Would an Athlon 64 3000+ play HL2 better than an Athlon XP @ 2.4GHz?

[/B]

if i'm wrong, someone please correct me...but i don't think your XP drivers would work on 98SE...however it can the other way around.

i know for some ppl it's harder do change over to a new OS when you've been used to a certain version.

but even though the system requirements for HL2 state that it will run on Windows 98....it doesn't say it will very slowly like @ 2fps...or something.

you might want to consider at least just upgrading the "gaming" system to XP...you can just purchase the "Upgrade" version for $99 anywhere. you will see so much improvement w/ media related programs running XP.

you have a decent card there..but the rest of the system's prolly bottlenecking it entirely.

and...i also have an AMD 64 3000+ and it plays great.

can't say if it's better or worse than an Athlon XP @ 2.4gHz though..sorry.

As I and other people have said. It's not the clock speed holding you back, it's the FSB running at 333FSB more than likely. Get a mobile and run it at 400FSB and I'm sure it'll go smoother.

its not the video card i had my same system as in my specs except a aiw 9600 pro instead of my 6800gt and i ran the game not at the highest settings but at a very high resolution for my lcd and aa/af on at low settings everything else pretty high and i never experienced any lag or problems. i would guess its your memory maybe since amds are better at gaming than intels.

yeah but nubius i clocked it up to 2.2GHz today, dabbling in the high temps, and it was only a little better and still got lags on different sounds and explosions. it did help though.

Besides, most P4's have twice the effective memory bandwidth as AMD Athlons.

The clock speed isn't bottlenecking your system dude. Quit focusing on the clock speed. Your FSB is holding you back.

I believe people expect too much out of thier hardware these days.
I get a constant 30FPS with my Ti4200 and PC2100 RAM, no overclocking. no AA or AS. 1024x768.

I say, wait till prices drop for a 6600, thats what I'm doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom