SATA Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

toogreen

Baseband Member
Hi I am topic start of the Official - my new rig bulding thread. Anyway seem no one is checking out that thread anymore, so I will start new one. I Just built computer ( my sig ). And the computer didn't recognize my hard drive. I was told to install the SATA drivers via. floppy. I did this and when it goes to boot up windows it still doesn't recognize. Does anyone know of anything this could be? Could my hard drive just be broken, any suggestions I would really appreciate, thanks.

I need 2 hard drive with a SATA setup. I thought that was only with a Raid 0 setup. If anyone knows about this please help me out here.

You do not need two hard drives unless you are RAIDing. So you have tried the floppy with the correct drivers on it? Pressing (I believe F6) on startup, (just keep pushin it) and then what does it do? If the drivers never load you need to start there.

I thought you were trying to set up a RAID. Why else would you need drivers? Windows XP SP1 and SP2 built in automatically have SATA built drivers built in. All you have to do is go in your BIOS, change boot priority to CD or DVD ROM, load WIN setup, select drive to install windows on, format (NTFS), and windows is installed and every thing is done.

Ok when the F6 prompt comes up I press it, it then finishes loading initial Windows XP stuff, and a blue screen comes up saying press S to load any new mass storage device drives. I load the floppy, and it loads a bunch of things. Then it asks to push Enter to load Windows. I do and then it comes up saying it does not detect a hard drive and to check connections. And the connections are plugged in.

That ASUS board has certain sata plugs. If you put it in the RAID_0 or the RAID_1 it will not work. (says this under the red or black plug)
If you plug it in that area it will go into the Promise RAID controller.
To see if it is that, press Del many times to enter the BIOS to check the disks.

Ok when the F6 prompt comes up I press it, it then finishes loading initial Windows XP stuff, and a blue screen comes up saying press S to load any new mass storage device drives. I load the floppy, and it loads a bunch of things. Then it asks to push Enter to load Windows. I do and then it comes up saying it does not detect a hard drive and to check connections. And the connections are plugged in.

Plug in only the drive you are trying to install windows on. For whatever reason when I had 3 hard drives plugged in it didn't want to recognize my drive either.

So make sure you've done that.

When you hit S to specify a mass storage drive, only pic one set of the SATA drivers which I assume you can anyway, and if you could hear it loading from the floppy you should be good to go.

Also go into your BIOS and make sure that the SATA/RAID controller is set to ENABLED otherwise it's basically like SATA is turned off.

And also in the BIOS you want to set the boot order to Serial ATA once you've gotten the OS installed on the drive unless you simply prefer to leave it on CD-ROM, Floppy, Then SATA

I always put my boot drive first in the sequence to save that fraction of a second on booting time :p cause it only takes 2 seconds to change it back in the BIOS.

Let me know if that works for ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom