Your Opinion on a great deal at Dell??

Status
Not open for further replies.

project-09

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I know dells aren't the greatest and all, but I think I found a decent deal on the site. Its a Dimensions XPS and its blue...so I figure it must be a Gen 3. The new Gen 4 is out right now as well.

Ok so basically the deal is $1240 on the dell site for a blue XPS with:

- Pentium® 4 Processor 550 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB)

- 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M)

- 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE ... i plan to switch it out with something better

- 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

- Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability

- Sound Blaster Audigy™2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394

Is this a good deal for $1240? Or do you think I can do better? I really like how convenient the XPS case is and it would also save me the cost of shipping 15+ components and the time of building my own comp.

the other thing is...i found another deal on the dell site...19inch Ultra Sharp LCD $650..I get it for $377. Their regular 19inch LCD is 450...so I'd be getting an even better LCD for less.

comments like that don't really help me out. But I'll keep that in mind.

Not to offend anyone here, but I just have a straight forward question that does NOT have to do with your personal emotions, feelings or bias against Dell. SO if you wish to help me out than thanks a bunch if not don't bother posting.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Why would u buy that system if you know ur gonna switch out cards anyways. Putting together a PC is almost as easy as legos. All u need is a screwdriver, a static strap, and not much time. Prebuilt PCs aren't a good deal because they are taxing you for putting it together. That may be ideal for someone who doesn't know how to do it but I'd rather just pay a couple hundred less or put that towards better hardware. Wouldn't u rather have the same PC with that nice graphics card, more ram, bigger power supply for the same price?

personally i wouldnt ever buy a pre-built computer again (made that mistake years ago... never since then!) I agree with what the others are saying, if you have the time and are confident enough you should build it yourself as you will get a lot more for your money.

otherwise the specs arent too bad... apart from that gfx card... so if you are happy to buy a prebuilt and spend that kind of money then fair enough... but I personally do think you can get more for your money by building it yourself!

The thing i dont like about Dulls is there propriatory .There memory is cheap , no overclocking capabilities .Your better off building your own. Places like Monarch or Alienware and others allow you to pick the components you want and assemble it for you .Try configuring a couple of like systems and do a price 2 quality comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom