can't get my pc to boot from a cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

trashcop

Solid State Member
I have a gateway computer that I am trying to put XP on. The computer is a ATXSTF OXN Select 1100. There is no OS on it right now, just a blank 40 gig harddrive. I am trying to get my XP disc to boot when I turn the pc on but it won't boot to the cd. I also can't figure out how to get into the bios.

Here are some specs on the computer.

AMI bios
AMD Athlon 1100
Western Digital 40 gig
Motherboard is RU US or something like that. model MS-6330 Ver:2.1
cd-rom
128 ram

I have some more parts to upgrade it to like 512ram, Cd-Rw, extra 30gig HDD but I want to get XP loading first. Any help would be great.

EricB said:
hit f1 or f2 with gateway. on most other computers, you hit delete

When the pc comes on I tried tapping each of those. I started it up like 20 times tapping each one, holding them down, nothing worked. It will go to the Gateway screen, and then flash AMI and AMD 1100 then back to gateway and then just a blank black screen with a flashing _ .

EricB said:
try f10 (that might have been it). after that try all of them
I'll try all of them and see if they work. If none of them work is there a possibilty that bios is has become inaccessible?

I am supposed to be tapping the key when I turn on the pc right?

Yes. For the longest time, I thought my gateway bios was inaccessable. but I found out they wasn't you has got to nit the right key. try esc too. head to their website and ask them

On the POST screen, when it flashes and say AMI and AMD and a few other things, there are two beeps. I looked at a website and it said if there are two beeps during post then it means this "Memory parity error. The parity circuit is not working properly"

Is that even fixable?

"Memory parity error. The parity circuit is not working properly"

Could be either a bad memory strip, power strip or at worse, the mobos slot is damaged...

*Try unplugging any hardware you do not need to run the computer PCIs included. Maybe the memory isnt getting enough power.

*Changing the memory would fix the problem so long as it is the memory at fault.

*I am not sure if you can stick the memory in another port to see if it is a dodgy connection? Try it anyway.

It might even be something else, but I think they are the main causes for that error message (if you are sure that is what the two beeps mean).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom