big BIG problem with my home network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisjongkind

Beta member
I *had* a successful home network; cable modem to linksys hub to 2 computers. I shared an IP by repairing the connection on either computer when I needed it to be online (the other one would then be offline, until I 'repair'ed it). file sharing was also always working. but now I have a new cable modem, and I want to network my computers the same way, but can only connect one or the other to the internet with my new motorola SB5100. I don't require a second IP from my ISP, but want to split a single connection, through my linksys hub, just like it was. I can establish connectivity on the *first* computer on which I install/follow the motorola CDROM, then the second one, when plugged in, will only say 'limited or no connectivity' and will not be online. This will work in reverse if I do the other computer first. I am mostly concerned about file and printer sharing between the two. I'm not well versed in networking but can follow any steps or advice anyone has for me, and let me tell you, if I could, I would give you a huge wet kiss for your help.
Thanks!
chris jongkind

almost the same thing is happening to me, except im using a router. you'd probably find it alot easier to purchase a router and use that, they only go for around 70 (au). What is your ip on the computer that doesn't have connectivity?

if your hubb has a 192.168.0.1 thing going on, then enter that into the web browser and change the way your computer connects to the internet. i'm not sure if thatll work or not, but its better to give it a try. theres a dynamic setting, a ppoe setting, i don't know the details on each one, but see what u can do.

Are you connecting via USB or ethernet from the modem to the hub? The SB5100 are notorious for not liking certain hardwares as well. Try shutting down your network, unplug the power sources from the modem and router. Power up the modem first, get a solid cable light on it then plug in the hub. Power up your pc's, run the ipconfig command from dos to see what IP you pull.
Either run the release/renew commands or try to do the repair from the LAC.
That modem has to be receiving a solid cable signal from the dhcp server before the hub can have power, otherwise the hub will try to read and hold information from a modem which isn't online.

~Fawks

hey thanks for the advice OCC & red fox, I am on ethernet cable all the way thru....those steps I will try to follow, but I sort of got lost after the IP ad DCHP stuff, it's just over my head for networking...I will unplug all, plug in modem to get online, then plug in hub, then connect 3 cables (1 to each comp from hub, and one from modem to hub), then turn on pcs (one will be online already, as per my original description), but then what specifically do I do about the IP and release renew? and DCHP? I will fiddle with what you guys have told me, thanks a tonne!

Well, make sure all is connected before powering down. When the modem boots up and gets online, and you plug in the hub, it looks for that dynamic Ip that the dhcp server assigns you. If you dont have it connected, the hub will have a hard time pulling accurate information. As will the SB5100. So, make sure everything is hooked up right, power down the modem and hub, then power up the modem. Wait for that cable light to get on solid, then put the power in the hub. Boot up your pc's, then click on your start menu and choose run.
Type in cmd for Win2k and Win XP to get the dos window, and type in ipconfig. If you get a 169.254.x.x address, type in the following ipconfig /release then hit enter. then type in ipconfig /renew and again hit enter.
It should toss out a 192.168.0.1 or some similar IP address. If it doesn't and says something like unable to contact the dhcp server, then you should contact your ISp. As for dhcp settings, by default windows pulls them automatically so they should be ok.

~Fawks

hey thanks for the info! I tried all that in that order and in various combinations myself, and did manage to get file sharing with no internet, but not consistently. I talked to tech support at rogers, and he says that I will need to get a router instead of my hub for this. hearing that, is there ANY way I can use my hub for file sharing b/t the computers and forget about the internet??? thanks again for everything!

Sure, just make sure you have the IPX/IPSX and NetBEUI protocols installed on both machines, and you should be alright there. To install those, you need your windows cd and then navigate to the control panel and go into the network connections. Rclick on the lac, choose properties. In the installed components box, you will see some items listed. Click the add button, and go to protocols. Add the IPX/IPSX and NetBEUI repectively, reboot and your two pc's should see each other.
As far as being told you need a router instead of a hub, that's not entirely accurate. A hub splits the connection in the same way a router does, it's just routers offer more in the ways of security and with internal settings.

~Fawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom