Upgrading from 9 year old build

OP only wants to play Android emulators, and I have to honestly say at least for Blue Stacks that it plays nicer with Intel machines. I get frame drops at home, where as at work I don't really. All we need to do is replace his core platform.

This is what I would do if you're not interested in anything else. Use SLOBS and NVNEC (new) and CPU cores won't be an issue.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sYMQsk

What specific games do you plan to play, and what hardware options does Nox have these days? I can use up to 8 cores in Bluestacks but it doesn't make much of a difference over 4 or 6.

Ok, after rethinking things a bit, I decided to just retask my existing computer to be the Kitchen/security system computer and just build a new computer from scratch. I'd be using the new computer for mainly gaming and some basic business use. World of Warcraft and Nox emulation of various mobile games. Would also like to be able to video stream while I'm gaming. Would like the GPU to be able to support three monitors.

After looking at a few of the specs already posted, here are some thoughts/questions.

CPU - I've settled on the I9 - 9900. Not sure the difference between the 9900K and 9900KF - same price and specs on the list site.

Motherboard - There seem to be a million options here, so at a bit of a loss to decide between them, but would like to have enough slots and usb ports for what would be normal use. I'd also like to make sure it can handle at least 64 gb of memory and acceptable speeds.

Memory - I'm interested in knowing what people recommend here. I'm leaning towards 32 gb to start, with being able to expand to 64 gb in future without having to throw away the initial 32 gb. Again there seems to be infinite choices in terms of brand, speed, etc.

Storage - Would like 1 TB ssd for operating system and applications, plus maybe an 8 TB drive for storage.

Video Card - Probably the most options and confusions of all. As I said, I'd like it to run current potential future games well. Support for at least 3 monitors. My current two monitors have HDMI ports, so would like the card to have two HDMI ports, but if adapting isn't a big issue and HDMI is outdated, I guess display ports would be fine.

Case - My current computer is a full tower, which is pretty hefty. Mid tower is probably fine as I don't anticipate having to have more than two or three hard drives and other devices. My current case has several USB ports on the front as well as audio and other ports, which is convenient. Not sure if the mid cases have many options in this regard, but would be nice.

Optical drive - Are people getting these anymore? I have on my existing computer, but haven't used it in ages.

Power Supply - Open to suggestions here.

Monitor - I currently have a Samsung 1920x1080 60hz 27" plus a wall mounted Sony Bravia I'd like to connect to (both hdmi). I'm planning on getting another 27" monitor (I guess stick with Samsung), but am curious about whether to stick with 1920x1080 and whether upping the hz is worth the money.

Keyboard/mouse - I'm interested in ideas here for good gaming keyboards/mice.

Thanks for the help!

CPU - I've settled on the I9 - 9900. Not sure the difference between the 9900K and 9900KF - same price and specs on the list site.
In that case, get the i7 10700k. What you asked for isn't to far out of what I've already posted.

I can reply to the rest with another list later. Have to take my daughter to softball practice.

In that case, get the i7 10700k. What you asked for isn't to far out of what I've already posted.

I can reply to the rest with another list later. Have to take my daughter to softball practice.

Great, thanks for taking the time. I don't see the I7 10700k in the part picker site - perhaps it is too new?

I revised the list for you, but it got expensive QUICK lol.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VtgWvW

If anything at all, I'd choose a 1660 or something low end (still way better than the current 580) and wait until Q3 this year and drop on an RTX 3080.

Thanks for putting together. I didn't see a cooling fan - can you recommend a compatible one if needed? Also, can you recommend a compatible 1660 card that can support 3 monitors as you're right - the one in the list is a bit more pricey than I'd like. If the video cards don't support multiple hdmi these days, is it easy to adapt from display port to hdmi?

On the monitor, is it worth going up to 2560x1440 on a 27" also is the 144 hz noticeably better than lower hertz models?

Thanks again!

Thanks for putting together. I didn't see a cooling fan - can you recommend a compatible one if needed? Also, can you recommend a compatible 1660 card that can support 3 monitors as you're right - the one in the list is a bit more pricey than I'd like. If the video cards don't support multiple hdmi these days, is it easy to adapt from display port to hdmi?
I would use the stock cooler for the 2600k if you still have it and move the D14 to the new chip. If not, just add one of these.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sv...b-6604-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-ek-aio-240-d-rgb

On the monitor, is it worth going up to 2560x1440 on a 27" also is the 144 hz noticeably better than lower hertz models?
Yes, and yes.

Back
Top Bottom