system diagnosis?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
my daughters computer started acting up after she sat a plate full of food onto the keyboard, and then turned the computer on. it came up to a screen that said on overclocking attempt was unsuccessful. i fiddled around with it trying to make it work, which i could not. so i ended up reinstalling windows on it. it worked fine for 2 days. then the same unsuccessful overclocking screen came back up. i have a feeling that she has some sort of hardware problem. my first thought is ram memory, as there has been a failure in this system in the past. but at that time, the computer had 2 sticks of ram, so we just pulled one out (which of course took 2 tries) this computer takes DDR3 ram, and of course is the only computer in the house that does. is there some kind of software that can find bad components? if not, the only thing i would know to do is buy new ram (which i would buy 2 sticks), and replace the one that is in there.

This is a laptop,correct? " she sat a plate full of food onto the keyboard" Does that mean that she spilled food on the keyboard or that she just rested the plate on the keyboard?

Is it the BIOS that is giving the overclocking failed message or is it windows?

I would try pulling up the boot menu and manually selecting the windows drive.

Can you give us the specs of your computer?

Last edited:
Sorry, i forgot to do that. it is my sons old gaming computer. home built, asus z97a motherboard, intel i-7 4770k it originally had 16gb of vengance ram, but after one stick died, its been running on just one stick. it has a gigabite gtx970 grapnics card, i can not remember what the power supply is, but i know it is (or at least was at the time) one of the better p.s. made. she did not spill anything. i think what happened is some of the keys were pushed when she turned the computer on. whether it made it into the bios or not, or what it did is a mystery, because she shut it off and tried restarting ti again after she had removed the plate.

This one's easy. If I'm correct, that board has an easy tuning wizard that's accessible by hitting F11 on the post screen. More than likely some things were pressed and a clear CMOS should do the trick. Either that or manually set CPU/RAM settings back to stock in the bios.

This one's easy. If I'm correct, that board has an easy tuning wizard that's accessible by hitting F11 on the post screen. More than likely some things were pressed and a clear CMOS should do the trick. Either that or manually set CPU/RAM settings back to stock in the bios.
Ah,yes you may want to look up the BIOS reset for your mobo

thanks guys for all the help. my son (who built the machine) came home yesterday from college (boy THAT makes me feel OLD!). He looked at it, and said that the memory stick is most likely the cause. among other things, the memory problem led was light. (who knew there was such a thing?) so, its off to newegg to get memory. and hopefully, that will fix it. if not, at least he is here to deal with it. i really am not tech oriented. where to him, its second nature. that makes a BIG difference.

9boy that makes me feel old!

Back
Top Bottom