Troubleshooting for a friend

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
Hi All - been awhile since I've been here. Hoping you can help me help a friend. He built a computer on quarantine and has been having some issues. His specs are as follows:

ASRock B450M Steel Legend motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
4x4gb [16 total] Viper DDR4 2666hz ram
RX 5700 GPU

His main issue currently is that windows and his BIOS recognize that there are 16GB of ram; however, Windows says only 7.9GB are usable. He is running 64 bit windows 10. He has done the windows memory tests and everything has come back fine. Does anyone have any ideas why only half of his RAM is usable?

We did troubleshoot and verified that all 4 sticks can run 4x2 for a total of 8GB.

A few years back I had a similar issue and it turned out that my CPU was not running in dual channel or not all of the cores were engaged (sorry for my lack of technical expertise, going based off what I vaguely remember microcenter telling me the issue was). When I swapped out my CPU, then I had all 16GB (admittedly I can't remember if it said I had 16GB anywhere or if it just said 8GB).

I am wondering if there is a way to trouble shoot the CPU or am open to any suggestions at this point as to what else this could be.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edit: It says his usable RAM is 7.9GB and "hardware reserved memory" is 8.1GB. I have no idea what that means.

Second Edit: he did what a lot of the youtube videos out there said to do in terms of unlocking the hardware reserved memory and that did not work either.

Last edited:
"hardware reserved memory" this is likely due to the motherboard and RAM installation configuration.

Please read the mobo manual. Sounds like the RAM is inserted into the wrong channels.

I don't think that is the issue, as he only has 4 RAM slots and has a RAM stick in each one.

We have tried one stick at a time and two sticks, every stick works under that configuration.

The Patriot Viper RAM that he has isn't specifically listed on the link you provided. I have never heard of that being an issue before. Based on the fact 1 stick and 2 sticks will work just fine do you still think the RAM just might not be supported?

Thanks again,

Garret

Last I knew... windows 10 64 does support more than 8 gb of memory.
You could try something to see which memory slots are and are not being recognized, with CPUZ you should get an option like this:
my-Memory.jpg

That may help you to diagnose what is going on with each memory slot.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
You can use the free version

We have tried one stick at a time and two sticks, every stick works under that configuration.

The Patriot Viper RAM that he has isn't specifically listed on the link you provided. I have never heard of that being an issue before. Based on the fact 1 stick and 2 sticks will work just fine do you still think the RAM just might not be supported?

Thanks again,

Garret

well you kinda answered your question, and as Trotter said, RAM sets may not be compatible with the mobo/ or atleast order you set them in the channels.

Have you confirmed the mobo manual to cross this off the list?

I take it you dont have spare RAM to test with?

well you kinda answered your question, and as Trotter said, RAM sets may not be compatible with the mobo/ or atleast order you set them in the channels.

Have you confirmed the mobo manual to cross this off the list?

I take it you dont have spare RAM to test with?
This is true and those early AMD4 cpu's were very finicky about the memory too, cause many headaches with many peeps.
Possibly a bios update may or may not provide a fix for that?
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M%20Steel%20Legend/#BIOS

Back
Top Bottom