Corona virus and job hunting

QueenOfTech

Beta member
Hi,

I just graduated with a computer science degree last year. I am currently looking for a software developer role (based in London) however as you're all aware, Corona virus has been spreading quite fast in London (and workdwide). Therefore whilst I have phone/video interviews only (as opposed to face to face) I've been told by the interviewers that there's no guarantee that new recruits will be appointed at this point in time due to the uncertainty of corona virus.

I was planning to attend conferences and dev hackathons and other career related workshops held by large companies to learn new skills. I also like to attend social meetups. However due to corona they've all been cancelled as you'd expect. Can anyone suggest things I can be doing while I am unemployed in order to increase my chances of being hired as a software developer?

Also, what are the chances of getting hired for freelance work as a fresh grad?

What language(s) do you know? What's the job market like there, as far as desired languages from developers in your area? Find out what those are, and either learn those languages or beef up your current knowledge set; there's tons of free material out there as far as interactive lessons. Udemy, CodeAcademy, etc.

As far as freelance work...that'll be tough. Free lance web design is about the easiest thing there is, but it's tough to establish a client base (or even get people to want to pay for a website right now).

What language(s) do you know? What's the job market like there, as far as desired languages from developers in your area? Find out what those are, and either learn those languages or beef up your current knowledge set; there's tons of free material out there as far as interactive lessons. Udemy, CodeAcademy, etc.

As far as freelance work...that'll be tough. Free lance web design is about the easiest thing there is, but it's tough to establish a client base (or even get people to want to pay for a website right now).

I read an article, businesses which are online-only may actually boom although in-person businesses will of course suffer.

To be honest, I was shortlisted for a software developer job and heard yesterday that the vacancy was taken down as they couldn't handle new recruits due to the situation.

Back
Top Bottom