VPN

spacecadet11

In Runtime
Hello.

Is there a value or need for having this?

Does the "Incognito" window help you at all?

Can I get the name of software that prevents trackers...
from downloading. Or to get rid of them?

Thx
SC

Hello.

Is there a value or need for having this?

Does the "Incognito" window help you at all?

Can I get the name of software that prevents trackers...
from downloading. Or to get rid of them?

Thx
SC

VPN's are a very popular solution to an ever expanding world of digital information. Basically they protect your data online by encrypting it masking your IP Address with a different one and a lot of VPN providers are now offering a lot of other services, features and products threw the means of online subscriptions.

A VPN subscription can be for as little as 1 month or a two year Bi - Annual subscription.

I don't know if you know but VPN stands for Virtual Private Network or you also have the term VPS what is used interchangeably what means as far as I think Virtual Private Server or Service.

Its basically a secure connection between you PC threw your ISP and to the VPN providers network and then AFTERWARDS out to the internet.

Online security is a huge global topic of constant discussion and online safety is paramount for a lot businesses and company's or organization so the like of your average medium to large scale business what is running VPN solutions, they use these to connect to the likes of their offices from remote locations.

You have a lot of encryption options when using VPN software, a lot of providers will have multiple physical locations for the reasons of having different I.P Addresses what they can serve to the public. Their is no point in running a VPN from your home address because it will be in he physical same location as you and thus say for example if you have a server in Norway, then routing your traffic threw that server: that will be you exit point out to the internet.

A lot of VPN providers provide their own software for us with their services.

Its a good question that you have asked about the use of trackers, being straight up and honest, simply pressing a button and hitting connect on you VPN software does not protect you 100%, you can still have likes you say trackers, IP.Ver. 6 leaks, advertisements, and the likes of cookies and tracking software.

I use Linux, my system is locked down completely and I run GSM encryption on my line, so basically GSM encryption is a long the lines of military stand security. Its has not been broken yet.

If you are running FF or Microsoft equivalent for you browser look in too, Privacy badger, Add Block Ultimate, HTTPS Everywhere and disconnect,

Another thing as well, your browser can leak your I.P Address, threw IRC, in the likes of FF you have to disable this threw the advanced options using about:config.

I don't know about incognito, I think I have hear that mentioned before with windows, but personally I wouldn't touch Windows with a barge poll, I just don't simply believe their isnt any back doors in their OS, Linux what is open source as modified by the likes of you and me, and has stood the test of time so far to proven its relatively safe because the code is scrutinized all the time and modified.

I don't know how old you are but my advice would be to look in to a VPN provider like TORGuard.net, look in to moving over to LM (Linux MInt) , if you can do I'll help you secure your system.

Again you can get the likes of DNS Leaks, Domain Name Service what can leak your IP Address. These things are easily modified in Linux, Windows? I'm not sure about.

As for the value of a VPN, I wouldn't go online with out one, no way would I. Do you really want the world seeing what your doing online. I live in the UK and our country is a hell hole for the Government spying on you since the introduction of the IP Act. (Investigatory Powers Act) Basically it give the police the law and authority to monitor you online digital communication, if need be too, to hack your devices and monitor what you are doing. F*** that.

Hope that helps.

I'm only mildly tech savvy so please dumb this down to chimpanzee level if possible.

The advertising for VPNs is they secure your data while you're on line. They run in the background, you'll not even know it's there.
Except that not what happened when I tried to use NortonVPN. A number of my apps would not work, internet browsing was interfered with and the stupid VPN logged itself out all the time.
I tried to read on their FAQ what was happening and to the best of my understand certain apps and website require geocaching info that the VPN blocks. They also have no solution for this.
I got a refund and have been looking at other VPN services trying to see if there are any that don't have this issue to no avail.

So is this a VPN problem in general with no solution? If so I don't understand why VPNs are so popular if they screw up a significant portion of your internet usage. Does anyone know of a VPN service that's solved this problem?

Win 7 at work and home.
Android on my phone.
Chrome for both.

I've just found this under google:

Disable Geolocation in Google Chrome

Click on the three dots on the top right corner of Chrome.
Select Settings.
Click on Advanced and visit the Privacy and security section.
Click on Content Settings and go to the Location section.
Find the switch that says “Ask before Accessing” and make sure it's on.

That setting is already on. It's a recommended setting that I guess I've never changed.
There's already a small list of blocked and allowed site.

Also I don't think this would help with apps.

Geo Location is a feature of Internet Browsers like FireFox, Chrome and IE.

Basically this will take your physical location and use it for whatever means the likes of Google, Microsoft, and even Apple deem necessary. This is how these company's make their money by selling on your data on for the likes of advertising.

Some Apps you use will require Geo Caching for the purpose of functionality. For reasons like advertising.

You cant be online with a VPN and have services like Geo Location turned on at the same time and be anonymous.

Also simply hitting a button on your VPN App does not make you anonymous. Every Operating System will have leaks. I run Linux because inherently its more secure being based on lines of code. For every peace of software you introduce in to a operating system that software will present more security risks overall.

This is not a VPN problem, this is your problem to decide what you want from your VPN service, do you want to lock down your system, change (mask) your IP Address and run encryption on your internet connection.

I understand what you are saying about the Geo Caching \ Location , but I think you need to look at the bigger picture about what information you are sending and receiving over your internet connection about the likes of your self.

I'll give you an example. Do you have a facebook account? What information are you publishing online for the world to see, do you use YouTube Video streaming services, do you do online banking or even mobile banking?

The question I'm asking is what is it you are putting out their about your self. Simply turning off Geo Caching is'nt going to help because if I think I understand you correctly you want a VPN to be anonymous and have encryption but you haven't or don't want to turn off the likes of Geo Caching \ Location.

Am I along the right lines, does this make any sense .

Back
Top Bottom