Plex on Linux with GIU

cyclones

In Runtime
Hello. So I'm currently hosting my Plex server on a Windows Server 2016 box but want to move everything over to a Linux server because; well Windows. Does anyone have good tips for getting everything moved over properly? I'm currently running the following in Windows:
Plex Server
Tautulli for Plex
Radarr
Sonarr
Is it possible to get all of these programs to work seamlessly on Linux? I'd want to install a GUI version of Linux because I don't have the time to learn how to do everything from commands and terminal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Hello. So I'm currently hosting my Plex server on a Windows Server 2016 box but want to move everything over to a Linux server because; well Windows. Does anyone have good tips for getting everything moved over properly? I'm currently running the following in Windows:
Plex Server
Tautulli for Plex
Radarr
Sonarr
Is it possible to get all of these programs to work seamlessly on Linux? I'd want to install a GUI version of Linux because I don't have the time to learn how to do everything from commands and terminal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

There is not. All of the installs are entirely command line.
They'll all work perfectly on Linux. I have some of these running in containers on Proxmox. :tongue:

They all have guides online to follow -- Most are just adding a repo, installing from the repo, and setting them to run at boot time. Then the configs are the same as Windows, save for some directory configs.

Thanks for the reply, iFargle! I am seeing there are lots of tutorials on Youtube on how to build out a Plex server environment. I have about three years worth of history in Tautulli that I would like to migrate over to Linux. Is this possible without having to start from scratch?

Tautuli has scheduled backups, might be possible to restore from one of those. I know it's a pretty simple process Linux to Linux ( I moved from Ubuntu CentOS about a year ago on my Plex box), but I've never done Windows to Linux. Almost 1,000 days of history in Tautuli for my install. Though it's use is dwindling as I switch over to jellyfin :tongue:

Is it that hard to rebuild plex library? I use kodi now and stream everything but when I had a media server and used stuff like that i liked serviio better.

I had 30k videos and a lot more songs and I could uninstall, install from scratch and build new library on any platform in about 20 minutes, very easy.

I haven't had to rebuild my Plex library from scratch in a while, I copied over the database between installs.
30,000 videos is insane :lol: I have maybe 11k.

If y'all haven't tried it out, you should test out Jellyfin
It's super simple to install....

https://jellyfin.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#getting-started

Ubuntu:
Code:
 sudo apt install apt-transport-https
 wget -O - https://repo.jellyfin.org/ubuntu/jellyfin_team.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.jellyfin.org/ubuntu `cat /etc/os-release  | grep VERSION_CODENAME | sed -e 's/VERSION_CODENAME=//'` main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jellyfin.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt install jellyfin
sudo systemctl enable jellyfin
sudo systemctl start jellyfin

And you're done :tongue: Connect to it at ip:8000

Sorry for the late reply! I did end up installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I was able to get Plex installed and found my libraries. I did copy over all the system data from my Windows machine to Linux after Plex was installed, but some things weren't fully migrated over like my recently added movies, TV shows, etc. But all of my sharing with friends was still intact and users can see my server. I'm trying to figure out the vnc thing from Windows to Linux and I believe i installed Xfce GUI so I could VNC into the machine but I'm ultimately trying to figure out how to get VNC working with Gnome GUI, not Xfce. Can anyone help me there? Thank you!

Any reason you want to remote desktop into it? You'd end up just opening a terminal on it anyways. I'd enable ssh and remote in that way. Much more light weight (like 20Mb's vs like 2Gb's for Gnome :tongue:)

Well I already installed Gnome GUI over the weekend because when the PC boots up, it will boot to the Gnome GUI. Space isn't an issue since I have it installed on a 250GB SSD drive. I just always like to use the GUI. I've been using putty with SSH into the server since building it, but would like to figure out how to get the VNC working with Gnome GUI :)

I'd recommend XRDP -- This will allow "virtualized" sessions. VNC will take over the physical desktop. We use it all over the place where I work and for the most part it's pretty trouble free.

xrdp by neutrinolabs

Back
Top Bottom