I Need Recomendations For What To Buy For My Setup!

AWESOMENINJAWARRIOR

Beta member
Hi, I'm a web/game developer, and I also enjoy streaming. I'm looking to buy my first setup, and my budget is about $2,100. I already have a mouse, keyboard, webcam, headset /w mic, and speaker set.

I am set on getting a laptop, but I also would like to have deaktop power at home. So far I think an external GPU enclosure would be the best way to achieve this. I also like the fact that I can upgrade the GPU in the future with an eGPU. I've decided the Razer Core X will probably be the best enclosure for me, and as far as graphics I plan on getting an RTX 2070 (undecided on the brand).

The Razer Core (and litterally every other enclosure) uses a Thunderbolt 3 Cord. So I'll need a laptop with a TB3 port capable of 4 PCIe lanes. I really do not care about any other port besides perhaps a few USB Type A. The more TB, though, te better.

So really what I need help with is finding the perfect laptop. I does not need a good GPU, although I would rather not go worse than a GTX 1050. The processor needs to be at least an i7 8th gen. RAM can be 12 GB or better, and storage I would like to be at least 1 TB, perferrably hybrid or all SSD. But honestly storage is the most flexible of my requirements. I would also like a good ventilation system, as heat will always be an issue with laptop gaming.

Since I expect the gpu to be about $500, and the enclosure is $300, I have a max of $1300 to work with for the laptop. If anyone has recommendations, I'd love to hear them! I'll keep you guys posted on anything I decide.

The main reason is the fact that I am going into college next year. Also, having a portable machine can be very useful for web development, as I can simply bring my entire workplace with me to a client.

As you can tell, I won't need the laptop for anything but light gaming away from home.

None of those laptops have 8th gen i7 processors... or TB3 ports.

A few days ago best buy was selling the ROG GU501GM for $1,200.... but I wasn't ready for such a rushed decision and the sale was over quickly. Hopefully it goes on sale again soon, since it was almost a perfect laptop, besides the small 15.6" screen.

man just get a sweet desktop thats strong and can do the heavy computing and a light cheapo laptop for school. I think spend about $200 used for webdev laptop and the rest on desktop, whatevers left get me few burritos, a bloomin onion, and some gummy bears or some candy.

Thanks Abo, that HP laptop is basically perfect. The only thing I might be concerned about is thermals.

The reason I want such a good processor is because I plan on getting an egpu. It would really suck to buy an amazing gpu and not harness it's full potential because my cpu is holding me down. Also, I'll be going into college with a focus on game design in computer science, so I'll be using programs like Unity and Unreal in the classroom. I want to be sure I can run those at low graphics settings without the egpu. For example, if I want to work on a physics behavior for an object in Unity, I can turn off all textures, lighting effects, etc. and still test out my code smoothly. Then I can test the game with full graphics load when I get home and plug into the egpu.

Although I'll consider my question successfully answered, I'd still love to hear any other reasonable suggestions! Also, once I do get this setup going, I'll definitely start a thread to show it off ;)

From personal perspective - i had a custom made laptop, that was around 1.5k and had 1070 in it. It was made 2 years ago, so i was pretty happy with it, and i still would be, if not for small part - internal gpu died, and in this case, you have to change whole motherboard. As its a mobile motherboard, its either very expensive to get, or you cant get it.
Which is not the case if you have a normal pc, as all the parts, no matter how old they are, are still pretty cheap and easy to find.
So all in all... i wouldnt recommend gettin a powerful laptop. I mean, there are pretty neat cases that could fit all your pc parts and be comfy to transport. Or even portable pc cases. Just not gaming-working laptop in one.

Back
Top Bottom