are free website templates a good idea? what do you recommend?

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I know close to nothing about coding, I put together a very simple website from scratch years ago (link in my signature) with the help of google-searches and some forum-help.
Now, however, along with moving my site to a new provider I also thought I'd re-design the site, I don't want/need anything super-fancy, but I do want a site that will be mobile-device-friendly (which my current site is not).

Would free HTML- or CSS-website templates (not that I actually really know what HTML or CSS really is, other than what they abbreviate to, but that's beside the point) be a good idea? I mean, do they really work? And will they work for someone who has close to zero knowledge about coding?
If by any chance possible I want to avoid using something like WIX or WordPress, as their logo will be on my website then.
What would you recommend to use in my case?

thanks!

Last edited:
Nothing inherently wrong with using free templates - just be advised that other people also use those, so if you're in business for anything, your site may not be "unique" in regards to the design. If it's just a personal site, then it shouldn't matter as much.

Nothing inherently wrong with using free templates - just be advised that other people also use those, so if you're in business for anything, your site may not be "unique" in regards to the design. If it's just a personal site, then it shouldn't matter as much.

Thank you!
I'm mostly wanting to use a template so the website will be mobile-device friendly and adapt to the screen size of which ever device it is opened on.
In terms of design, I just want something simple that is clear and works. I guess I can change a template as well to make it more 'unique'?

Thank you!
I'm mostly wanting to use a template so the website will be mobile-device friendly and adapt to the screen size of which ever device it is opened on.
In terms of design, I just want something simple that is clear and works. I guess I can change a template as well to make it more 'unique'?

Correct.

Also, the term you're looking for is "responsive design" :).

I recommend https://learn.freecodecamp.org/ for learning web development, the responsive web design certificate is most relevant to you. If you wish to learn to code in html, css using good practices.

Thank you!
I do realize I need indeed more knowledge for this, even if I want to use a template. I did find some nice templates I would like to use, but I don't even know how to change simple stuff like the color, unless the color codes is in the index.html file.

I appreciate your recommendation!

HTML is used for defining the contents of the page e.g. images, paragraphs, headings, text.

You use CSS for styling e.g. background color, text color, borders, etc. I suggest you learn CSS flexbox and CSS grid layouts as these are responsive web designs, whilst CSS grids can be more readable (as in readable code) for more complex designs, they have less browser supports than flexbox.

You should also learn media queries as this allows the design to be adapted according to the type of device i.e.phone, tablet, smartphone used

Javascript is used for interactivity e.g. what happens when you click on a button. However, CSS can also provide animations.

Good luck!

HTML is used for defining the contents of the page e.g. images, paragraphs, headings, text.

You use CSS for styling e.g. background color, text color, borders, etc. I suggest you learn CSS flexbox and CSS grid layouts as these are responsive web designs, whilst CSS grids can be more readable (as in readable code) for more complex designs, they have less browser supports than flexbox.

You should also learn media queries as this allows the design to be adapted according to the type of device i.e.phone, tablet, smartphone used

Javascript is used for interactivity e.g. what happens when you click on a button. However, CSS can also provide animations.

Good luck!

Thank you!
Oh, yes, I actually found the color codes in the CSS style sheets of the templates I have.
I might be able to go somewhere with this even before going through the whole course that's offered on that website you mentioned.
That being said, I am sure doing the course will definitely benefit me a lot!
I will work on it as much as time permits! :)

I think you should definitely go through the whole responsive design principles certificate, at least the training sessions. The responsive design techniques will benefit you a lot.

Back
Top Bottom