Shift key will not work for the exclamation point???

jsenn

Solid State Member
Hi,

First please note nothing had been done to my system or my keyboard prior to this taking place and I have rebooted to see if that stopped the behavior but it has not.

I was wondering if someone could explain how this behavior could take place. This is just for my own interest, but if it can be fixed that would be great as well.

The left hand shift key has stopped working for the exclamation point, the symbol above the number 1. It works for every other key on the keyboard but it just doesn't do anything when you hold it and type the number 1. The shift key on the right hand side works fine but the left has decided that the exclamation point is not worth working for any longer and has declared war.

This is the weirdest behavior, does anyone know enough about keyboards to maybe explain how this could happen? My interest has been piqued enough to bring it here given it works for every other key, just not the number one key. Also, there are no other keys on the keyboard malfunctioning or not working at this time
Thank you.
JC

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is unlikely to be a physical key problem and is more likely to be a software issue of some sort. If the "Shift" key doesn't work, it won't work for any of the keys, not just one other key. If it was the "1/!" key, then it wouldn't work with either shift key nor as a "1" key.

Can you verify that your "1" key works by itself, and that both "Shift" keys work by themselves?

Try the keyboard on a different computer to see if it's an issue with the system or keyboard.

The shift key works for every other letter or number, just not the exclamation point on top of the number 1...Very strange, and yes a software issue it very well could be, can you tell me more?

Dont have another computer to try it on any time soon but I will keep that in mind and when I do find one I will let you know. Actually I think I could test this on my laptop, would just have to figure out how to 'switch' keyboards for a minute from the laptop keyboard to this one, I am sure it can be done. Google will tell me. Thank you for the suggestion.

Dont have another computer to try it on any time soon but I will keep that in mind and when I do find one I will let you know. Actually I think I could test this on my laptop, would just have to figure out how to 'switch' keyboards for a minute from the laptop keyboard to this one, I am sure it can be done. Google will tell me. Thank you for the suggestion.

You just have to plug it in and it should work. You can have multiple keyboards on a single system; nothing to "switch" over.

Hello Everyone! Well suddenly this morning my shift key has started to work again all on its own! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

As soon as I opened a word doc and started typing it started working halfway through the document, it did not work at the beginning of the document or while I wrote 2 emails prior to opening word.
I did not shut down my computer, I have done no updates to any software or windows, I have done nothing out of the ordinary except notice my 3 key was sticking and worked with it a to remove the clump of whatever that was making it stick. I didn't turn the keyboard off to do this even.

So while I thank everyone who was willing to help, all is good in the typing world once again.
JC
ps: not sure how to close this thread at the moment, I will go back and read the rules and edit it once I do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom