Left side of monitor is brighter than the right.

Does your monitor have a warranty? You could send it for repair as it wasn't your fault.

It does have a warranty. Is this some sort of defect then, and not something that is typical?

well its something got to do with the backlight. If the monitor came brand new like this, you can return it as long as the warranty hasn't expired. I'm not really sure if it is typical, I haven't had many monitors in my time.

Last edited:
I recently bought an Acer XB271HK monitor. I noticed after using it for a while that the left side of the screen is slightly brighter than the right. Here is a picture of the issue. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Is this normal for monitors or some sort of defect?

Normal. Unfortunate that you have a left/right variance, but still normal. It's called panel uniformity. The issue is on displays the backlight is around the edge of the display, so there is a challenge in making the display brightness uniform top to bottom and left to right. Most displays are actually pretty non-uniform, more so than people realise. It just so happens the human eye isn't actually particularly great at noticing different brightness levels between 0 and 10%. 10 to 20% and it's visible but only if you look for it, not super distracting.

You are only going to get a really nice evenly backlit uniform LCD display is you pay major money for a reference grade monitor. I am talking $1000+ from the likes of Eizo, NEC etc.

An example of an average monitors brightness uniformity.

uniform.jpg

Is it going to be the same for all monitors of the same model, or does the degree of uniformity vary monitor by monitor?

Is it going to be the same for all monitors of the same model, or does the degree of uniformity vary monitor by monitor?

Each monitor will vary, even if it's the same model and brand. All monitors of a certain model will have to fall within certain quality limits, say 30% variance. Other than that it's a crap shoot.. you could get a near perfect one (very unlikely as they tend to hold back the best panels for above discussed expensive reference models), but you could certainly end up getting one better than you have at the moment. But equally, it could be worse..

Each monitor will vary, even if it's the same model and brand. All monitors of a certain model will have to fall within certain quality limits, say 30% variance. Other than that it's a crap shoot.. you could get a near perfect one (very unlikely as they tend to hold back the best panels for above discussed expensive reference models), but you could certainly end up getting one better than you have at the moment. But equally, it could be worse..

Okay, thank you for your response. Is this something that could get worse over time, or will it stay this way indefinitely?

Back
Top Bottom