Macbook Pro temp 150F +

Ooh an old one! Might just need a clean out, those versions built up dust etc pretty easily in the fans and heatsink grill.
You can find disassembly instructions here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Core+Duo+Model+A1150+Heat+Sink+Replacement/508

Obviously don't worry about doing the whole thing, just the first few steps to take the case off so you can access the fans/heatsink and clean out any dust in there.

If you're unlucky then you could need to redo the thermal paste, which would mean following all the instructions to get to the heatsink pads, buuut for now just check the fans/heatsink for dust and clean out if they're terrible, then turn on without putting all the screws back and see what temps you get.

get "fancontrol" it's a preference pane thing. it lets you control the speeds of your fans. i have an a1150 too, when i first got mine years ago, one of the fans was burnt out, i put a new one in and downloaded 'fan control' and used that since. it's a good little fan controller, runs in the background too, right after start up and even before you log in. my opinion though, don't set rpms too high though or you'll burn up your fans quicker in the long run anddd they will be louder. and yes you can control each fan seperately with the fan control settings. just my opinion and suggestion on something to control your fans and temps better. There is one called smcfancontrol and another one called fan control... i always used the one called fan control, but they both work the same, just have different looks. There's no need to break it down unless you've got a fan out though, then you'd really know then because it would inevitably overheat and power off. Try finding "Fan Control" or smcfancontrol by googling it, download it, and install it... go to your preferences and go to the preference pane and change fan speeds. also, if you Do have a fan out, You'll know it from that too, it'll show that one of them is out. Physically too, it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean the fans... that a1150 is from 2008, or well mine was, so yeahhh without care, it will end up building a lot of dust. Try Fan Control. hope that helps!
peace

Back
Top Bottom