Does my computer support infrared?

kidmo87

In Runtime
Hello everyone, hope I'm in the right forum. I have a asus z170-a motherboard. Does my motherboard have infrared? I looked in device manager, and couldnt find it. I read that if its not there to make sure it is enabled on my bios.
Any help would be great. Thanks.

Infrared remote control, SOULphIRE. A lot of boards have the headers for it. It's just a matter of getting compatible hardware. My Intel MB has them.

attachment.php

Hello everyone, hope I'm in the right forum. I have a asus z170-a motherboard. Does my motherboard have infrared? I looked in device manager, and couldnt find it. I read that if its not there to make sure it is enabled on my bios.
Any help would be great. Thanks.

Do you mean, do you have a infrared built in? or if you attached one, would it work?

You can buy USB to Infrared devices... or like Seti said, it may be possible to fit one ( I have no clue about that)..

First of all thanks for you replies, and sorry I took soo long. I was trying to buy a remote control for my windows media center, and it connects through infrared. Yes I wanted to know if I had it built in, some people said i have to enable it through bios, but wanted to make sure. It isnt in my device manager though.

First of all thanks for you replies, and sorry I took soo long. I was trying to buy a remote control for my windows media center, and it connects through infrared. Yes I wanted to know if I had it built in, some people said i have to enable it through bios, but wanted to make sure. It isnt in my device manager though.

You'd see a infrared reciever most likely on the front of the tower if it was built in. I've never seen a built in one, but you can buy a IR receiver USB as a work around. :cool:

Last edited:
That Asus z170-A board does have a remote desktop feature:

Read about it in your manual page 27
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-A/E10527_Z170_Series_Feature_Manual_UM_WEB.pdf

Didn't see anything about an IR connection/ports
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-A/E10611_Z170-A_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

My brothers Asus mb also has that however it connects via Bluetooth, mine has a ap for my phone that I can boot it up and shut down as long as I'm connected wifi and I think I can set Remote Desktop but I've never had a use for it, I live alone and never really needed to use it, might play around with it to see what it can really do now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom