Left/Right Speaker Balance Using Subwoofer as Left Speaker

Megan186

Beta member
I'm not sure if it's a problem with my drivers or if my speakers are just broken. They were just kinda cheap ones I picked up at best buy, here's the model:

Insigniaâ„¢ - Powered Computer Speakers with Subwoofer (3-Piece) - Black/Silver/Gray - NS-PSD5321 | Insignia

Theyre unique because there's a central "pod" (you see in the picture) that plugs into the audio jack on my PC (it's also the power/volume control). I can plug headphones into that hub to switch the sound to headphones. From a the hub, a cord goes to the subwoofer. The Left and Right speakers connect into a single jack in the subwoofer.

My computer is acting like both my Left and Right speakers are JUST the right speaker. When I turn down the Right sound balance, both speakers get quieter. When I turn up the Left balance, the Subwoofer gets louder.

However, the sound balance when I use HEADPHONES is still just fine. It uses my left and right "speakers" correctly.

Are the speakers just broken? Or is it possible that my driver is confusing the speakers somehow? I googled and couldn't find anyone else with this issue.

Last edited:
The computer only has one audio jack (aside from the front one). If I plugged it into the wrong jack (mic/aux) I don't think I'd get sound at all.

Check the sound mobo driver. Maybe even the video card driver package. Also, I swear sometimes there is nothing you can do- I use a HDMI output from the PC to a AVS receiver and I still have some balance issues with the left speakers and middle speaker being much louder than the right side speakers ( I have it set up as 5.0 system) - so I have to manually go into the Level/balance area and turn the right side down in the "levels" area. To get there - right click on the speaker icon on the bottom of the PC display, then click on playback devices that is active/ right click / properties/ and then levels and there you should be able to manually turn one side or the other down/up.

The problem I'm having isn't sound balance. It's not recognizing that I have three speakers, not two (left/right and subwoofer). I've done what you're asking, adjusting the sound balance. When I try to adjust the left speaker volume, it only affects the volume of the Subwoofer. It thinks my Subwoofer is my Left Speaker.

Additionally, when I have stereo sound enabled, I only get right speaker output from BOTH of my left and right speakers, which are both playing sound. So if I'm listening to a song that plays drums in the left speaker, I won't hear the drums at all (or just barely).

But when I plug my headphones into my speakers, the headphone sound still works just fine.

I'm thinking it could be just bad wiring in the subwoofer, which both speakers plug into, but I'm not sure.

Megan, it sounds like you need to run through the sound settings. To make sure it isn't a defective speaker system, try plugging it into your phone or something else with a 3.5mm jack. If it works there, you need to setup the computer correctly. What version of Windows or Mac are you using? This will help us get you the correct instructions.

I actually hadn't thought of trying that. For the record I have Windows 7.

I am having the same sound issues after plugging it into my phone. Something is missing from the sound, it's very off. The subwoofer isn't giving bass, it's playing the what the left speaker should be playing at a low volume.

I know the speakers are just broken now. At least I've discovered the problem. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom