Best video, photo, sound editing software?

Notedog

Baseband Member
Can anyone weigh in on what they think the best software for video editing, sound editing, sound recording, and photo editing is?

I'm thinking about getting photoshop for picture, and final cut for video. Are those bad choices? I want to know the absolute best, regardless of cost.

Also, does anyone know what the best software for web design is? This is one area I know next to nothing about, so one that has a great tutorial would be excellent.

Thanks guys to anyone that can help!

Photoshop for pictures, the industry standard next to GIMP
Sony Vegas and Final Cut Pro for video editing, best damn options
Audacity is decent I guess for sound

CodeAcademy is good for learning how to code.

I use adobe after effects for video editing, photoshop for picture editing and adobe audition for audio related anything.
I use Visual Studio 2010 for web page editing but notepad will work if you don't want to pay like $550 for the only "webpage editing" software that you were probably thinking of. But all this stuff is like $1000 worth of software because the makers of these programs are old stingy little pigs.

And yes like M4TT said, codeacademy is the best for learning how to code.

Last edited:
I just signed up for Adobe Creative Cloud, which for $50/month give you access to their entire suite--everything you mentioned above, plus more. I felt it was worth it since Photoshop CS6 alone is like $600. After a year, I can reassess whether I need to actually own the software or should continue, essentially, renting it. Here are the advantages: updates each month (you need to 'check in' each month to verify you subscription or else the apps won't continue to work); access to MANY more for cheaper up-front pricing; installation on up to 2 machines for your use. Downside: 1-year commitment (it was $75/month if you want month-to-month with options to cancel anytime).

I don't suppose anything can beat Adobe Creative Suite for all your needs; its the most ungodly expensive piece of software I've ever seen (other than specialized software for doing very specific professional stuff).

I use Corel Photo & Video suite, is it the very best? probably not, but it serves my need and I'm not a photographer for hire so I don't see any need to use anything more than that and even if I was; I'm not sure I'd use photoshop anyway. But one thing I DO have from Adobe is Lightroom; that software has been the only thing reasonably priced as far as Adobe software I've acquired.

I use Photoshop and Lightroom for photos and graphics.

I love Lightroom for photo management and I do most of my post-processing in it now. I rarely have to open Photoshop for most photos.

I subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud. There are many programs that I don't use often, but it's always fun to try something different when the occasion arises.

I like Dreamweaver for web design, but if you are a true beginner you might want to check out some HTML/CSS books. Adobe also has some new web design programs that are geared for responsive design and stuff like that. I think they're still in beta.

Last edited:
I also have Adobe Creative Cloud and while I originally got it for Photoshop (photo and image editing) and Illustrator (and sometimes Dreamweaver) it was AWESOME to have assess to their whole suite. I decided to poke my nose into YouTubing (it's a verb now?) and was able to use Premiere Pro (video editing) and Audition (audio) plus After Effects (which I've not tried yet).

Yes, it's a monthly fee, but it is great having access to EVERYthing Adobe makes and just picking and choosing what I want.

If you are looking for access to so many types of tools (photo, video, sound, etc.) then I heartily recommend giving it a try.

Back
Top Bottom