Monitor for Graphic design Advice

D.Willemoes Jensen

Solid State Member
Hello

I'm currently looking to buy a new monitor meant for graphic design.
IPS or IPS-like Panel type.
A good screen size, 24" and up.
So far I found this: Asus PB279Q Monitors - PB279Q - ASUS
All seems really good, the resolution is great for its price.
The only downside I see is that PA has factory colour calibration and PB does not.
So I found this here.
Asus PA279Q Skærme & projektorer - PA279Q - ASUS
However it does not have as good resolution.

What do you guys think?

Yea the Asus PA series are great panels for Graphics - an IPS panel with 100+ PPi.. i agree with your choice..

Plus if you're a photographer and you want to enhance real-life photographs the build in SD reader will be easy to pop cards in and out.. and DANG that thing has 6 extra usb ports thats nuts
images.jpg

So you think I should stick with the PA?
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question since I'm very new to this.
The PB is a similar kind to IPS, I think it's called AHVA.
The PB has like 3840x2160 and the PA has 2560x1440. So that's 166 ppi vs 109 ppi.
So in terms of resolution the PB wins
So why doesn't better resolution equal a better monitor? :)

Last edited:
I hadnt seen the PB series other than the link you shared... its not on their breakdown

monitor.png

For resolution I think its preference really.. I think it would depend on the type of graphics you'll be doing. If you're doing real-life photo manipulation you might want a higher resolution due to typically high megapixel images so you can see more of the photograph at a closer-to-native resolution.. (Even though 1080p is only ~2 MP lol)
If you're creating graphics like banners, buttons and icons for web you will be more closely working with pixels for the fine-tuned details. Its my preference that if I was working on a graphic that i would want an average resolution and i would sit at an optimum viewing distance so i can adequately see everything im working with. I dont even use IPS and some of my graphics turn out pretty good on all monitors.

newwwnbanner12-21-14-wording.png

Damn.. I didn't know more types existed other than PA and PB.
I've been using a SyncMaster 225BW for many years now and its a TN I think. It's starting to break down so I thought I might as well get a new one.
That quickly turned into building a completely new pc meant for graphic design.
I personally work a lot with concept art so I use photoshop, illustrator, zbrush, Maya etc.

For the PA I can see the colour saturation range is a lot bigger and it even has adobe colours on video presets, which is interesting.
Though I honestly don't know what I'll be using 6 USB ports, when there a plenty on the pc.

One thing to consider is if you're using a Windows machine the scaling at 4k is pretty terrible. I personally feel a 1440p PA monitor would be well suited, or if you have the budget the LG ultra wide.

I'm sure the scaling will eventually work out with future updates :p
I'd like to apologize for not saying thank you all for your input, I've been very busy lately but I just wanna say that I really appreciate it.

Ah well, then 4k users will look forward to that :)
I'm actually surprised that there isn't any fixes for the scaling issue in windows 7 or 8.1.
Let's just hope that windows 10 delivers. I heard the start menu is back.

REwriting the UI elements for proper scaling isn't something you can just patch out in something like Windows. I'm sure a lot of early adopters would love that, but their focus is now on 10 so I doubt any major updates to the core OS will happen.

Yes 10 looks to be what 8 should have been. Not a push towards touch focused computing which failed hard. I can't honestly comment on how 10 will handle 4k scaling, but one would assume Microsoft would at least be smart enough to look forward for that.

Back
Top Bottom