Weak Wifi signal, how can I boost signal?

nunchucklee

Beta member
I recently moved into a buddies house and went from a great internet connection to a very poor connection. The main reason why is because when I was living with my parents I was in the same room as my router and I directly plugged into the modem. However living with my buddy, the router/modem (it is all in one) is in the basement and my room is on the 2nd floor of the house and on the opposite end of the house. So with that in mind, it is pretty much the furthest point away from the router.

I am quite positive it is not the actual internet speed itself, because whenever I am in the basement with my laptop, the connection is great. The rest of his family does not want to relocate the router and preferably not have me run a long Ethernet cable, so I will have to find another way of expending the signal to upstairs.

I do quite a bit of online computer gaming and also am in college so the internet speed is quite crucial, considering at the moment it will randomly cut out. I have heard of wifi boosters/extenders but am not very familiar with these.

What do you guys reccommend I do? What are some good WiFi boosters? I am willing to spend a decent amount of money to get a better signal upstairs.

Thanks!

A wifi repeater is what you're looking for. It, essentially, takes a weak signal, amplifies it, and rebroadcasts it. The caveat is, though, you sacrifice some speed for it. If that's okay with what you need, then you can find some at any electronics store.
Edit: Another option would be to add a high-gain antenna to the router. I don't know much about these, though. Bought one at a garage sale for $10, but never used it.

Last edited:
Half your problem is the fact that your wireless signal is stuck in a concrete room and you're trying to reach 2 floors over from that. A repeater won't work very well unless you can run a cable from the modem to it and have it at least on the first floor.

Looks like my best option would be to relocate the router/modem itself. I'll see if I can relocate it to the living room. The living room is the center part of the house and also has cable hookup. I'm pretty sure I know how to do this its just been awhile but if I am to place the router/modem (its all in one) in the living room, all I'd have to do is plug the cable line into it and plug it into the wall correct? I wouldn't have to do anything else?

Thanks

If you have TWC then yes, but that cable has to be plugged in as well (the one that feeds the wall).

Worst case scenario, try it when nobody is home and see if it works. Honestly though, the all in one modem/router units are absolutely terrible and the built in wifi is worse. I would personally get an AP and have a cable going from the modem in the basement to the AP on the first floor.

Edit: I say TWC because I've had them and personally know. Theoretically Comcast, Cox, and Charter should be about the same but I'm not 100% certain if they use any filters or not.

Back
Top Bottom