Fans running wildly, not even close to hot

Multicore

In Runtime
1) My desktop PC failed to boot ( didn't show up even BIOS/POST messages, no HDD activity, no monitor signal )
2) Replaced CMOS battery (didn't disturb anything else) - PC ran fine for 3 days
3) again, failed to boot
4) removed one RAM stick (didn't disturb anything else) - PC running fine (a bit slow), but

When i turn on the PC:
1) Fans run at full speed for a moment - perfectly normal
2) Fans slow down to noramal speed & remain that way for 2 seconds
3) Fans pick & lose speed for another 2 seconds & then continue with full speed

How can i solve this issue of wild fans ?

by Fans i mean both the microprocessor fan & system fan.

Mobo temp 36 °C
HD temp 46 °C
microprocessor temp 40 °C

I could not solve my issue by reading this:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/pc-troubleshooting-procedure-list-208005/

First things first, post all specs of the machine, PSU/Mobo/RAM/CPU/GPU are needed information. Could be anything from a flaky motherboard to a bad PSU.

But, I do know that most Dell computers, especially higher end workstation ones if they detect a bad device on the system (HDD/RAM/GPU, or any other device really), they will do exactly that, run fan at high speed at start, go to normal for a bit, then go full blast non-stop.

First things first, post all specs of the machine, PSU/Mobo/RAM/CPU/GPU are needed information. Could be anything from a flaky motherboard to a bad PSU.

The PC is an old HP Pavilion a1312in Desktop PC.
My posts in this thread are made using this same wild-fan PC
please say if you had any other specs-software in mind.

Summary (by Speccy)
Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4 517
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
1.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-12)
Motherboard
Hewleet-Packard Asterope (CPU 1) 33 °C
Graphics
Generic Television (1024x768@85Hz)
HP m705 (1024x768@85Hz)
ATI video (HP)
Hard Drives
75GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 31 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

While your 12v is somewhat low, the 5v looks even worse. The pc might be cycling on the PG (Power Good) circuit within the power supply,
Its purpose is to tell the computer all is well with the power supply and that the computer can continue to operate normally. If the Power-Good signal is not present at startup, the CPU is held in reset state. If a Power-Good signal goes down during operation, the CPU will shut down. The Power-Good signal prevents the computer from attempting to operate on improper voltages and damaging itself.
Power Good Signal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

one of those $12. power supply testers will tell you if the 12v, 5v or PG signal fails
Rosewill RTK-PST Digital LCD Power Supply Tester - Newegg.com

or you might know somebody that has one

I am with Joe on this, it seems the PSU is failing... While little uses the 5v rail, and older machine is more dependent upon it, and with that rail going between 1v and 6v, that's hard on the machine. The BIOS probably isn't aware of what's going on and is keeping the fan near max speed just in case.

This looks like really really bad news.
seems like i will have to take this PC to a local repair shop.

i am currently in the process of finalizing/organizing/backing-up my data off the HDD. looks like i will have to be fast, really fast.

three questions:
1) can the PC fail anytime ? ( when the PSU fails completely; i suspect answer to be a yes )
2) are the mobo & any of its components in any real severe danger ? ( i suspect answer to be a yes )
2) what are my options, if any ? ( i do not have any power supply testers & neither do i know somebody that has one )

You might be able to save a few bucks by just getting a new power supply and popping it in. Get a good quality power supply like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec or PC Power & Cooling brands, 400-450 watts should be good for an oem HP computer

Time for some PSU shopping

my HP OEM PSU: ( 250 watts max ):

it can work on two input ranges (via a back-switch) - as evident in this picture.

Back
Top Bottom