hard drive data recovery, boot sector repair HELP!

sonnyjim

Beta member
hello all,
my laptop recently failed to boot. I decided as it is 3 years old to be rid of the laptop and just kept my hard drive as it has VERY important info on there that i would like to retrieve

i have wired the hard drive into my desktop computer via usb and i cannot get into the disk... windows prompts me to format the disk

in the disk management my hard drive is showing up as RAW and not NTFS (i dont understand what this means) ... i used cmd to run a chkdsk /r and nothing has been fixed

i then downloaded TestDisk and the results have come back as "boot sector BAD"
so i am now running a rebuild boot sector... promblem is, it says
"search mft 196608/976771057"
and i am stuck at this number, it wont go any further than 196608

if anyone has any ideas why this is or any other alterantive methods to rebuild my boot sector to working NTFS so i can actually get my data back that would be great
if anyone would like further information please just ask me. I am desperate to get my data off that hardrive as it has important work files on and i cannot afford to take it to a professional, thanks

- sonny

i was having problems formatting the drive with windows, but have now managed to format it using Easeus...
i am now faced with a new problem,
i am running a data recovery search with Easeus and it find 39 files then comes to a halt, so i tried Recuva, same problem occurs with the 39 files thing, i also tried GetDataBack ... same thing again. iCare... same thing again

what is going on? do i need to break down my partitions or something, i can't find any help info on any of the program makers websites for this sort of issue

any ideas?
thanks

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/600/icarey.jpg

looks like the drive has a very bad area that can not be read, and your recovery software gets hung up on making attempts to read that part of your drive.
I think you can set your software to read sectors within a range that you can set. Try going at some point after sector 222 (where it hangs up, try 250) to the end of the drive and see if it will scan

Try this. Go to microsoft.com and download any and all addendums or upgrades related to your system and review the numbers. Sometimes not all of them are installed properly. After you download them, review the installation, and check for the missing numbers. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom