how to connect a laptop to a desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohand

In Runtime
I have a desktop that use on 56k modem online, and a laptop, and i wanted to put files from the laptop to the desktop because bit by bit, it just full. and it's difficult for me to setup router for this 2-computer network, is there anyway i can connect that laptop and use the desktop as a storage, or in a way like pda's connect to a desktop, possibly using USB? Thanks in advence.

which socket or port that cable is using, for example: RJ45 port? and do i have to install any specific software to do that? what is the concept of how it works?

yea rj45, aka 10baseT, a crossover cable will allow you to connect without a hub, cost me about 5 bucks for a 6 foot section about 3 years ago. You have to enable sharing for Computer A, take Computer B and double click network icon on the desktop, and you might see Comp A's name in there, dbl click on it and you should see the drives you shared. You can then map a network drive, so you can access a certian drive and dir on Comp A, from 'my computer' in Comp B using a drive letter.

So instead of "\\Computer A's Name\c\documents\user\My documents\ " it would just be G:\

Different OS's do things differently in this area so this might not go according to that plan, but thats the basic concept. Save the long version for when the short doesn't work. Then just ask questions as you get stuck, otherwise I could spend about 5 hours typing out every possible thing that could go wrong.

If you search for data linker 2.0 on newegg you should come up with a cable that will...well...link (2 computers via usb2.0 or 1.0). If you get that and set up the virtual network software that comes with it it will get the job done in a pretty timely fashion. Took me about an hour to figure out how to actually set up the network, but that's having no experience with networking in XP.

PS: to everyone who was telling him to yank the hdd and pop it in the new one, I'd agree on desktops, but you have to remember this is to a laptop. I don't even know if thats possible, and if it is, I'm sure you'd want to make SURE you know what youre doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom